Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Hope

Hadn't heard from my sister K. after our conversation last week. Her husband arrived home during our conversation and she was going to tell him that she was moving out. I didn't hear anything - so sort of got my hopes up that he realized that he couldn't live without her and didn't want her to leave. He can (live without her) and does (want her to leave), apparently, since she is moving. An email today confirmed that she is officially moving out tomorrow into her new small, light-filled apartment. Movers come tomorrow. My niece arrives from Arizona on Thursday to help w/ paring down clothes, etc.

So, it is happening. And I am trying hard to be OK about it - for both of them. Thankfully, K. insists that choosing sides is not required. I love my brother-in-law like a brother - am possibly somewhat (though admittedly not very) closer to him than I am to my own actual brother...so not having him as family anymore is a strange concept. Maybe this 'split' will still result in everyone being friendly, if not friends. Hope so, for everyone's sake.

I'd love to get on a plane and go be there for her - but am saving my vacation time for 2 weeks in Hawaii in June. And anyway, if I were off work again, my boss is going to have a coronary (and he's a really nice guy and I don't want him to die). :-) I've been gone a lot lately - so need to stay and work. But wish I could be in two places at once so I could help K. We had such a great time in Florida and I'm sure moving her into her new space would be fun, in a sad, strange sort of way.

K., I'm with you in spirit. Thinking about you constantly. Hoping that what is happening to your marriage isn't what will happen to mine when the kids are grown and gone. But what's happening to you makes it all to obvious that it can happen to anyone. People do fall out of love - they really do. J., I know you're reading this - and I do love you and plan to be with you for the REST OF MY LIFE...so don't go getting any ideas, OK?

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...