Sunday, May 08, 2016

Mother's Day 2016

Facebook is filled with posts about the mom's we are; the mom's we will be; the mom's we miss; the mom's we never knew; the mom's we miss every single day, not just today.  It's the day we celebrate the amazing women who carry a child, give birth and parent for the rest of their lives.  Pretty amazing when you think about the commitment mom's (and dad's) make upon entering the world of being a parent.  It's a never ending 'job' and it's always full of more joy than not - so worth it to watch your child become a man.  An adult.

I'm proud of me being a mom though I am not the best mom out there.  But I'm still proud 'cuz I am a mom and that's not been an easy journey for me but we are all making it through.

J. (bless his heart) did a Facebook post last night (which I saw this morning); baked; went to McD to get me pancakes and sausage before he left for church.  B. phoned yesterday to send his wishes and in lieu of a card, he said how much he appreciates all the help and support I give to him about his life choices - career, love-life, etc. .  Sweet to hear him say that and at least I know that no matter what, these young men know I love them with every ounce of my being - even when I want to (and frequently do) comment on their choices.

Parenting - it's forever.

I've spent the morning chopping up old veggies for the compost bin, tidying up the desk and am hoping to work at home a bit this afternoon.  It's not like the commute to my actual office is long - but there are gates to unlock and relock and alarms to de-arm and re-arm and I'd just rather not, thank you very much.  And it's Mother's Day and the finance system is down most of the day anyway (coincidental to the timing of closing the prior month) so I will boot up my work laptop in a bit and work on some non-system projects.

A few days ago, in the early morning light, I noticed some movement on the chrysanthemum plant that finally bloomed - and realized there were caterpillars on the stems.  I was nonchalant about it, thinking "butterflies are nice".  But today, there is caterpillar poop (looks like rabbit poop but much smaller - obviously) and our plant is clearly being destroyed - so I sprayed a generous amount of insecticidal soap all over the plant.  Take that, crawly, semi-cute creature that can de-leaf a plant in a matter of days!  (Sorry - I should let them survive but it's pretty likely they are moths anyway so...).

B. just phoned again to say Happy Mom's Day and encouraged me to enjoy a glass of wine or a mimosa.  And relax.  Ha ha ha.  Sure.  I will.  After the district's budget is done.

Now I feel guilty about the caterpillars....but that plant has never bloomed and the first time it FINALLY does, it's being destroyed.  Gardening is a paradox - you create environments to attract butterflies, completely forgetting that they are caterpillars prior to butterflies and require massive amounts of fuel to transform.  And the plants you've lovingly purchased, planted and tended are their fuel.  Geez.

Alright - heading to shower and then try to work a bit -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...