Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Future or Now?

On a whim yesterday, I took a look at job opportunities in the Clark County School District in Nevada.  Lo and behold, there was an administrative job opening for a Budget Director.  12 month position and while it would be a reduction in pay over what I'm making here, at the highest step (which would take me a few years to reach), it's not much less - and I could collect my pension from my California retirement while working in Nevada - so net, it'd be a wash pretty much.

It's tempting to think of making a BIG MOVE now vs. waiting.  Why not buy our retirement home now with me still working vs. staying in California?  Housing won't be cheaper in Nevada six to ten years down the road (God help me, please make it six).  So why not just do it now!?

I feel ready for a big change and have for awhile.  Heading into my 10th anniversary in this job is a wonderful thing but for me, wanderlust just gets heightened.  Something different is needed - new adventures, new places to explore.  I want those things NOW not years from now.

The position closes in a week and half so I have a few days to think about it.  No rush.  Ha ha ha.

I think the main reason for my (now in the light of a new day) hesitation is this big adventure would also be a crap load of work - and my dear husband would bear the brunt of it. If I were to get the job, I'd be relocating ahead of him, most likely - leaving him to deal with getting the house ready; loading pods with our stuff to store until we 'land' wherever we land.  While I work away and live in a one bedroom apartment awaiting all of it to be settled.  I'd be lonely.  He'd be lonely.  And the grand adventure would turn into just a massive headache -

Better to wait when I can officially say 'I'm done working!' and then we spend time looking; visiting areas we want to live; strategically decide what goes; what gets tossed.  Making it still a lot of work but spread out over more time with no rush or urgency in the making.

The years in this job really do fly by - another school year is winding down - so in a flash, I'll be ready and we'll be ready - hopefully with no dependent children requiring a bedroom

On another note:  you know when you sometimes get those 'class action' documents and you scratch your head and think 'how did I get this'?  A few years ago, when J. and I last visited Vegas together to celebrate his retirement, we placed phone calls to a hotel - and apparently, they recorded our phone call without our knowledge or consent.  I filled out the paperwork somewhat begrudgingly, thinking 'all this stuff for probably $5' but I did it.

Yesterday, the settlement check arrived - $773.63!  Yowza!!  FUN MONEY SCORE!!

That cheered me right up -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...