Thursday, December 24, 2015

Not a Puppy

J. and I trekked to Winco early this morning and did the big shop to get us through the next week or so.  I really didn't want to do it alone after my haircut yesterday so we postponed until today.  It was cloudy and overcast and not raining on the way there, but was apparently raining most of the time we were in the store.  And putting groceries in the car.  And driving home.  And unloading all the groceries.  As soon as everything was inside, the rain stopped.

On the way home, the traffic was becoming impressively awful and J. mentioned he still had an errand to run.  I chastised him - with lots of sexist comments about how men put things off and that it seriously wasn't worth going out in the rain and traffic at this point - it's Christmas Eve Day and really?  You want to go out in this mob and weather for something?

He said 'well, OK, if you're OK with me not getting you a puppy'.  And I screamed 'A puppy?  You're getting me a puppy?  Of course it's worth it FOR A PUPPY!!'.

Only he's not getting me a puppy and now he's never going to hear the end of it.  The only thing I can say is that he is graciously dealing with all the jabs I'm giving him for getting my hopes up - and that he is seriously grateful that I'm not telling H. that he joked about getting us a puppy...'cuz that kid is relentless and has wanted a puppy or a kitten for FOREVER.

(I know J. is right - last thing we need is another dog.  Or a cat.  But still....that would have been the perfect present 'cuz even if you think you don't want a pet, you will immediately fall in love at first sight).

I baked a frozen berry pie for tomorrow; made sugar cookie dough that's chilling in the fridge and we have cheese straws in the oven.  I couldn't have done the cheese straws without J.'s help 'cuz the dough is so stiff, it's impossible to squeeze out easily.  Maybe I will cut back on the flour though I followed the recipe. It's firm but takes a lot of strength to get it out of the bag.

I just thought of this:  maybe we'll dig out the cookie gun and put the dough in there - cheese crackers instead of 'straws'.

Dinner is short ribs and mashed potatoes.  Plenty of libations here as well - spiked egg nog!


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...