Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Yee Gads It's the Flu

I felt decent on Saturday and Sunday - jet lagged and a little 'achy' but chalked it up to just post-travel tiredness.

Monday, I made it to work by 7:30ish - distributed gifts I'd purchased for my team and macarons for every building.  Got to work on my reading folder and my signing folder and caught up on things that had happened while I was away.  My boss came by very briefly and said 'we will catch up but not today'.  Parent stuff.  He was intrigued when I shared that my hubby had started my morning with 'hey, there are $800 round trip tickets from SFO to Istanbul'.  He and his family love to travel and his helpful hint is:  find the cheapest airfare you can to the continent and then it's not all that expensive to get from place to place.  Though he said he and his family have wanted to go to Istanbul.  I was totally game - we could fly from there to Paris for a couple hundred dollars, probably - but not ready to commit.  Though it's always fun to start planning our next Paris trip!  Paris is our new Cancun, I think.  J. even said maybe next trip, we could head down to the French Riviera (beach!) for a couple days!  That would really be lovely -

We had a meeting in Oakland with our financial guy so I was planning to leave work around 2:30 to get there by 4:30 - but as the morning turned to afternoon, I realized with some trepidation 'hey, I really don't feel at all well'.  I called J. to say my instinct was to cancel going to Oakland - so I called and rescheduled.

Arrived home just after 2:30 and went to bed - and quickly realized that I had chills and a fever. Stayed huddled under blankets and slept fitfully off and on all night - skipped dinner entirely.

Realized there was no way I was going to be able to go in today - which is bad 'cuz we had a negotiations meeting scheduled.  I texted my boss to tell him 'chills and fever and tomorrow isn't likely for me to be there' - they went ahead and had the meeting and just talked language items.

I hid from the cleaning crew by staying ensconced in my room.  I'll have to change the sheets on my bed - but I'll wait until the fever part is done.

I already called in a sick for tomorrow - still some fever today.  I did finally come downstairs for a bit 'cuz my back was miserable from being in bed for so long.

So forgive the lack of pics - they are all on my computer now (well, most of them, anyway) and I do hope to get some updates done this weekend.

Though it's Easter, I have no idea what we are doing for dinner, we haven't done our taxes yet and we'll have to see -

We Skyped with B. on Sunday - he has a tear in his medial pattelar retinaculum.  His ACL & PTL are OK.  The MRI report indicated a referral to an orthopedic doctor and surgery seems likely.  He is concerned but trying hard to just stay calm until he really knows.  He said if this injury eliminates him from elite forces, then he's done - he'd rather leave the Army and go back to school and then apply at the CIA.  (!!).  That was news.

Hopefully, it's repairable and not that big of a deal.  He did also find out that he has a birth defect - his knee cap isn't completely fused - so that may be contributing to the repeated dislocations he's had.

If he has surgery, he may be able to come home for 'convalescent' leave for a bit -

More soon - the loveliness of the trip is still a bright spot in my psyche so I will try hard to get some of it posted soon.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...