Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Happy National Pancake Day

We - and many, many other people snaked in a line outside the door and down the sidewalk - headed to IHOP for a free short stack.  We knew we'd never get away with just pancakes for dinner - not with 21 year old in tow - but breakfast dinner is a family fave and even more so when no cooking is involved.

The line derailed our plans 'cuz 21 year old in tow was famished.  (Is there ever a time he isn't famished?  No, there is not).  I was pretty hungry, too...so...we opted for Home Town Buffet.

And we had Taco Bell last night when at 4PM, everyone in my office started talking about Taco Bell. J. was happy to oblige my cravings.

DISH replaced my DVR with a new one - way more capacity.  I had to say goodbye to all the recorded, protected things - like dozens of Pilates shows on public television that I taped one month with high hopes of doing the mat routines daily.  American President (which we have on DVD). David Letterman's show where he confirmed to Julia Roberts that he had indeed been married since she last saw him - and the episode she was on a few days before he was married where she joked with him about his 'not wife'.  Little did she know they were marrying the next weekend.

The DVR change out before this one had J. re-recording everything onto DVD's so I'd have them forever.  I have no idea where that disc is and I've lived without all THOSE 'must keep forever' moments....so this time, I just let it all go.  It was easier this time.

Only eight more work days before vacation and my team is less than thrilled that I've made lists of things to be done in the two weeks I'm gone.  Budget will start fast and furious upon my return and there's not a minute to waste.  I fear they will spend two weeks doing as little as possible so my plans will help ensure everyone has plenty to do.  Their boss won't be around so I'm sure it will be more fun than normal.  I'm fine with that - things that need doing, though, need to be done.  :-)  Being the boss is not for sissies.  (And I will have a very busy eight days getting it all staged and ready for them...but that's OK).

Everyone asks 'are you getting excited about the trip?' and yes, I am...but I also feel just an overwhelming sense of exhaustion about it all.  That will pass - happened last year pre-Europe trip, too....but at the moment, it's just two weeks of work prep and home prep and 15+ hours of travel to get there...and then being a tourist for 10 days.  I just feel tired about it all at the moment.

I told J. I don't want to go anywhere or do anything next year for vacation.  Disneyland in October and maybe Vegas in March and that's it.  And then a couple weeks of 'stay-cation'.

I'm making lists and quizzing H. on things he would be able to cook for himself if I ensure supplies on hand to do the cooking.  I don't like him eating crap the entire time we're gone - even if I justify the money (which is hard to do), I can't justify him eating processed, crappy food and/or fast food for ten days.  It's not healthy and while his diet is far from 'healthy' (he's 21 and not inclined to live on yogurt and salads), I do care that he tries to eat better lately.  It's a constant struggle - but he will eat salads now and then...so the ready-made toss in a bowl and you're ready to eat 'kits' may work.

Coincidentally, one of his former employers whose production plant is right down the street from where we live is one of the biggest producers of those ready-made salad kits - so in addition to getting him to eat more greens, I am encouraging him to consider going there and applying.  He left for a better paying job and left on good terms - and while the money isn't great, it's a job.  He was full time there and was overseeing people - so perhaps room to grow.

He's waiting for the 'perfect' job - vs. just getting a job.  Any job.  Something (anything) to bring in funds 'cuz he's no longer on disability and we can't sustain his monetary requirements on our retirement budget.

B. called on Friday night and I heard J. say 'oh, you're in the hospital'.  Yikes.  He dislocated his knee - slipped on something (maybe dust on a sidewalk)?  Not really sure what he slipped on but the knee he dislocated in high school popped out again.  B. put it back partially - and then a bump on the gurney he was on popped it back in all the way.  It's swollen, in a brace and he's on crutches.  They are scheduling an MRI this week sometime (we hope.  It's the Army. Things go very slowly).  He seems optimistic that all will be fine - while I worry he will be honorably discharged for being unable to perform the duties assigned to him.  We'll see.  It's complicated as most Army protocol things are. I sure hope he doesn't end up home in a couple months - but I suppose it could happen.

It's approaching 7PM and I'm so tired, I can barely stay awake.  Time to go enjoy the new DVR (the freedom of all that space had me setting to tape every Law & Order available!...I've never had so much space to fill up and I can't wait!  Cooking shows!  Dateline!  48 Hours!  so many choices).

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...