Saturday, June 18, 2011

Nirvana in the Neighborhood!

J. and I went shopping today for some 'beach' clothes - headed to Manteca for the bigger JC Penney there (vs. the small one in our mall here). We'd planned a date of shopping and lunch - the first time we've spent together on any kind of 'just us' activity in a long time. Well, except last weekend when we did yard work together - but that hardly qualifies as a 'date', right?

Before heading out of town, we went to the bank and deposited H.'s paycheck for him - down to $2.20 in his account.....he was glad to get that paycheck. Especially glad 'cuz they are both buying the majority of their own gas these days - it's been quite an eye opener for them both to see just how quickly they're using it. They are both driving less; driving more slowly; starting more slowly from a stop....all the things we've been nagging them to do. Take away the money bag - and viola! They become frugal! Next on the list of things we won't pay for much longer is car insurance....

Upon pulling out of the shopping center, there it was.....the familiar logo staring at me; her mermaid eyes beckoning....yep! Starbucks is opening in the shopping center nearest our house - and I was so excited!! I was practically dancing in the car!! I won't go everyday - 'cuz McDonald's iced tea is $1 for a large vs. $2.95 for a Trenta black iced tea from the mermaid....but it's just so great to have it be so close by - a nice treat now and then....lattes on cold winter mornings when I'm going in super early.

Our shopping trip was successful and lunch was delicious - Red Robin. Yum!!

Work was a long, slow slide into 'holy crap, I do this process [the budget] every year and I always seem to forget just how time consuming it is'....but it's done! I actually was off yesterday - which is unbelievable! That has NEVER happened - but I had a great helper this week and she plowed through a lot of my board prep easily and quickly - making it very easy for me to get stuff done in plenty of time - and to be off yesterday. I needed it - I'm beat!

Two weeks from today, we'll be in Mexico - and I'm starting to get excited about the trip. I just hope I don't sleep the entire wee we're there.....'cuz that's what I feel like doing - just sleeping for days on end.

I'm loving my iPhone! Using it as a reader and enjoying reading more than I have in a long time. I'm going to buy a couple more books to download for the trip - a six hour plane ride and time on the beach will allow for plenty of reading time.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...