Saturday, September 19, 2009

Cirque

Vegas has been loads of fun. Painful, hot, sore feet, exhausted fun....but fun nevertheless. We've walked a lot the past couple days and our joints are sore, my feet are blistered and it's HOT here...but we're managing to have fun in spite of those maladies. Damn, it sucks getting old.

We saw Ka on Thursday night - not our first pick of shows but it was the 'freebie' included in our package....and it was truly amazing! We really enjoyed it - a story line and tons of cool effects and amazing acrobatics and athleticism. It was really great and I'm so glad it ended up being the free show 'cuz I doubt we would have chosen to see it - and it was a terrific show!

We didn't make it to a show last night. Just tuckered out.

We spent today (J's 60th birthday!) lazing around our room - slept in until close to 9. Ordered room service breakfast and coffee. J. watched the Cal game - it was his choice since it's his day - and they won! We went downstairs and gambled a bit then walked to the Mirage and picked up or Cirque de Soleil LOVE tickets - and hung out at the Mirage until show time.

There's been a lot of consolidation of properties here on the strip - and most are owned by MGM. Makes earning reward points faster - and no need to carry multiple player cards. But all the places kind of look the same - dark wood, really dramatic interiors. Not my taste at all.

We've enjoyed the Bellagio but I doubt we'll spend the $$ to stay here again - the rooms are OK but no nicer than the Mirage (where we've always stayed before when we've visited Vegas). It's a 5-star resort - but I just don't see it. Doesn't seem any more luxurious...maybe I'm just spoiled. I expect to be WOWED in a 5 star resort that costs what this one costs. And the only thing that 'wows' me is the crazy creaking in the bathroom pipes at all hours of the day or night. Not too impressed with the rooms....

LOVE was fantastic! We went purely for J's birthday - Beatles music is not my thing and I never would have chosen to go unless we were doing something special for J's birthday. It was really wonderful and I enjoyed it very much - a nice surprise. The athleticism and raw talent of the performers is so incredible. They work really hard - and it shows. It's beautiful, artistic, uplifting and FUN! We loved it and I'd love to see it again some day. It was too much happening at once and I know I missed things - I want to see it again to catch things I know I missed.

As far as we know, all is well on the home front. We have been in communication with the kids sporadically - and barely. They respond to text messages with few words. Phone calls aren't that much better. But they are fine and the house is fine - and we'll be home in less than 24 hours....

I'm looking forward to being home....sort of wishing I'd asked for Monday off as well to recuperate from our mini-vacation. But there's tons to do and we have auditors arriving on Tuesday so might as well get back to it -

J., happy birthday, my sweet. I love you and find it hard to believe that we are already 20 years from our engagement and your 40th. Where did the time go? It's gone by in nano-seconds. You are my love and my life and I am so happy to be with you to celebrate this special day.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...