Monday, September 07, 2009

Holiday Monday

I've made every effort to sleep in the past three days. Made it to 8 one day - but that was after waking up at 5, 6 and 7 and going back to sleep until 6, 7 and 8. Yesterday and today, I only made it until 7....just couldn't sleep longer than that.

After two days of mild productivity - did run some errands and get a few odds and ends done, but for the most part, I was basically a slug the first two days - I did kick it into high gear today and kept busy. Had some work things to do for tomorrow's board meeting - and had some Lion's business to catch up on. Cleaned the kitchen a bit, tidied up the study a bit. Baked banana bread which made the kids very happy. A double batch with double the mashed bananas - makes it really moist! I just mashed what we had on hand that were getting too ripe and put the entire 4 cups in the bread! The kids and J. raved about it.....

I started Weight Watchers Online yesterday - they had a 'free month' special which made 4 months only $60 (including the sign up fee). It's the only thing that worked for me in the past...and it's already been amazing to me how conscious I am of what I'm eating. Just knowing the point value of things is a huge help. I haven't felt hungry at all - and I'm still able to eat anything I want. Just in moderation. And that's what I realize after only one day - wow, was I overeating. Maybe 'cuz I was 'bored'...or just 'tired'....or 'in need of a splurge'. The list goes on. But today, I ate when it was time to eat and kept the portions small. Ate some celery as a snack before dinner. Didn't nibble too much on snacks - tried to keep 'busy' doing things vs. sitting and munching. It's only one day....but I'm hopeful. I know I can do this because I've done it before...and this time, once the weight is off, I'll realize that in fact - unlike in the days of my youth - the weight WILL come back if I don't keep carefully eating. So I'll hopefully stick with it.

Snow is still not well - he is barely eating and not that social. I think we will be taking him in on Friday this week...it's what's best. I love how he is deciding for us - and it's so like him. He is the sweetest, kindest cat-soul I've ever met (and I've had some pretty wonderful cats in my life) and I think this week of him 'declining' is his way of helping us let go....

I'm getting a little 'nervous' about leaving the kids next week. I'm sure they will be fine...but I still will worry. Though I know once we get there, I'll be having too much fun to worry. Sleeping in, eating out (trying to be as 'good' as I can), shows, things to see, etc. It's going to be so fun for J. and I to be away on our own for a few days.

We've had a serious plumbing issue here this weekend - there is water pouring out of the wall next to the water heater. It's NOT the water heater - but there's clearly a leak in the wall where the pipe from the upstairs bathroom comes down into the wall.....what a mess! We have called the plumber and they will be out tomorrow. We are using the downstairs shower at the moment since J's shower is also having a slight problem - the tiny pinhead size hole that periodically shows up is leaking again and there's a stain in the dining room ceiling from water. GREAT. Two issues at the same time. We're guesstimating around $2-3K to knock out the wall in the garage, fix the issue and then have the wall repaired. And the 'stand' where the water heater is will need to be rebuilt as well. And then we'll have to punch holes in the dining room ceiling and fix that as well. While trying to figure out why so much water is getting through a pin-size hole! Never a dull moment. Cha-ching.... Since we've had leaks in walls before - the laundry room wall had to be torn up, a pipe re-soldering and then the wall repaired - we're not surprised. Just worried. I've been hearing strange noises in the downstairs bathroom pipes also, so I'm a bit nervous about that. So glad J. is working at home tomorrow.....

[Snow just proved me wrong - he just came down into the dining room and he's lounging on the floor next to me. He and Klink are playing their 'tail' game - Snow is just a wee bit out of Klink's reach and he wags his tail - and Klink does everything he can - without actually getting up from HIS lounging position - to catch Snow's tail. So Snow is feeling at least well enough to come downstairs for a bit, which is nice..... ].

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...