Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lunch

H. has started this 'thing' where he texts us during the day - me pretty often, since I work in town - and J. occassionally when J. is working at home, as he was yesterday - we get texts pleading with us to bring H. lunch.

It starts the same way every time.

10:30 H: 'hngry'
10:31 P(parent): eat breakfast!
10:34 H: 'lunch?'
10:45 P: of course. That's why they have a cafeteria.
10:47 H: PLZZZZZ>????
10:50 P: No.
10:51 H: Y????
10:52 P: I'm on my way to Sacramento (which I was)
or
Because I have a job and am on a conference call (which J. was yesterday when
the dialogue ensued).

And the really ironic thing about yesterday (yes, there is a point here somewhere) is that my sweet husband brought ME lunch yesterday when my plan to arrive home around 1ish turned into 'I am frantically putting a Power Point together for tonight's Board Meeting and I can't get home - would you please bring me carrot juice, acai juice and a small thing of hummus so I can keep going without coming home?' And of course, his sweet reply was 'of course'. Met him in the parking lot where he told me about his recent text exchange with H. regarding the 'bringing of lunch'.

Don't tell H. He'd be mad as a hornet (for no good reason) and we have more than enough teenage angst around here at the moment. Why add fuel to the ever-burning fire that are my two teen boys?

If he were three and begging us to COME HAVE LUNCH WITH HIM, it would be as sweet as pie - and I can vividly remember the joy on both their faces when we'd come to their preschool or school and surprise them in some way. But now, it's not that they want us to be anywhere near them - H. can't drive (yet - he starts drivers ed this weekend and that's another post for another time) and he wants to eat something besides the food offered daily at his school (which by the way is not bad). He just wants transportation FOR THE FOOD - not any contact with his parents.

And, as we remind him frequently, he's not supposed to even have his phone out during school ours...and one of these days, when the lunch time texting starts, I'm going to let him know that we're taking his phone (again) and he can do without it during school hours. Won't that be fun?

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...