Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Celebration

Most of our schools broadcast the inauguration this morning...and in our offices, we watched on a tiny TV with rabbit ear antennas (which will stop working in a few weeks - note: need to get estimates on installing cable). I have never in my life watched the entire ceremony - but this morning, I did. Every single minute. It was amazing, wasn't it?

There were many 'comments' from coworkers who declined my invitation to join me in the building next door to watch - they weren't interested 'in watching him take the oath of office'. I resisted the urge to suggest now is the time for unity - and to remind that regardless of your party affiliation, this is most certainly an historic event. Some of them joined in eventually - guess an excuse to 'watch TV' during the workday was too hard to resist. I put aside my angst about their negativity and rude comments and enjoyed every minute of the ceremony.

The rules still apply: at work, avoid discussions regarding sex, politics and religion. A good rule of thumb to follow in any situation. Sometimes, it's hard to bite my tongue - but I do. I stay mum. We're all entitled to our own opinions and thoughts. My opinion is just that - MY opinion. Words to live by. Still, on a day like today - a day, that just 60 years ago would NEVER have been possible - it's time to put aside differences and embrace this amazing event. And look to unify all of us - one country. Party differences aside. There's been enough of that these past 8 years - and I'm guilty, too.

Of course, my guy IS the President now, so it's easy to feel that way about it. I remember how I felt 4 & 8 years ago and I do know how hard it is when your guy is 'out'. It's hard.

Isn't it amazing to realize that just 12 years before I was born, African Americans weren't allowed to ride buses? Attend schools with Caucasians? All that has happened in my life time - MY LIFE TIME - culminated in today - in the first African American President taking the oath of office. It's just so incredible to me. I know I will never forget how I felt today. A lot can happen in six decades, can't it?

Move forward, people. It's what he's asking us to do and I think it's high time we step forward towards some change.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...