Monday, November 12, 2007

Various

It's been a week since my last post...seems like a lot longer than that. Nothing monumental to report....same stuff, different day. I will update on a few miscellany -

Chloe is becoming a family dog. She is hanging out with us more and more outside the fenced off family room and so far, no accidents have been reported. She is getting better at conveying her needs to piddle and when she starts 'talking' to me, it's the signal it's time to go. She gives a little low 'voice' - kind of a growl, only not really - and that's our signal it's time. She is my shadow - where I go, she goes. She especially loves the kitchen because THERE ARE CRUMBS IN THERE. When I headed in to cook dinner last night, she was so giddy, she could barely keep her feet under her to get up the stairs and into the kitchen. She is playing with the boys constantly and is learning to 'sit on her blankie' when it's time to quiet down.

I had her on my lap at one point outside and said 'we miss Dani'. And the 'Dani' clicked with her, really for the first time since she died - and Chloe physically reacted. Ears perked up, eyes scanned the backyard. As if she thought 'oh my gosh, where has she been, I should have been looking for her all this time'. It was sweet ...and sad at the same time. I reassured her 'Dani's not here. It's OK'. And she relaxed a bit. Then she went back to being 'Princess Chloe', queen of the manor.

The winter chill has arrived and like Dani, Chloe is now officially 'burrowing'. Dani burrowed from infancy - and Chloe never really needed the covers, 'cuz she had Dani as her built in heater. Now, without Dani in the kennel, Chloe has sought out burrowing to keep warm on the chilly nights (I'm too cheap to turn on the heater - will soon, but for now, we're all just coping with mornings that are a bit chilly and building a fire in the fireplace on chilly evenings). And we finally moved the bigger 'two dog' kennel out of the family room and into the garage (another garage sale item that we'll probably never sell at a garage sale) and Chloe is using the 'just my size' smaller travel kennel. It suits her and it's nice to feel the family room is somewhat less 'dogs live in this room' chic.

B. did not make jazz band this year and unlike last year, when he knew he had auditioned poorly, there is no reasonable explanation except that the teacher is an #$$. There, I've said it.

Christmas shopping is largely done, at least for the boys. We headed to Sports Chalet in Pleasanton on Saturday evening where H. procured a new jacket and pants for snowboarding. B. had previously chosen a new snow board. And the aforementioned video system is also safely in the closet. Shopping early gives me a few months to spread out the impact on our budget and makes the post-Thanksgiving time less hectic. There are still lots of little things to get between now and then, but the major budget busting items are done. J. and I are both 'at that age' where there isn't anything we really want - we'd much rather forgo wants for ourselves and be able to spoil the kids more. It's a nice place to be - and while I'm sure there will be small items under the tree for us both, we will limit our requests to things we really want. For me, it's all 'consumables'. I don't want things that 'take up space'. Gift cards for Starbucks are perfect. And maybe a CD or two on my list. That's about it. We have the Hawaii trip coming up in March (we will spend our 18th wedding anniversary in paradise with our kids - how perfect is that??) and so being 'frugal' for the two of us at Christmas makes sense.

I am starting to give considerable thought to down-sizing. Not now, because the housing market is horrible - and while we could move into a smaller home for considerably less, we wouldn't be able to sell this one for much more...so we wouldn't be ahead on the housing front. But someday, we will want less space and less expense - and that will require purging a bunch of stuff. It's my mission for 2008. I already feel like we're in a 'use it up' phase. Cleaning out the pantry, garage, etc. are both on my winter break project list. Progress will be made. Things will be given away, sold or just trashed. By the end of the winter break, I intend to have one car parked in the garage every night - instead of 3 cars in the driveway. Well, actually two in the driveway and one by the curb. And then, maybe by Winter Break of 2008, we can make room for a 2nd car in the garage. 'Cuz that's what garages are for, don't 'ya know.

J. says my posts are too long - so I'm signing off now. And heading to work on a holiday because I have too much to do and am out of the office at a symposium for most of the week.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...