Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sea

I smelled it long before I could see it. That breezy, salty, briny smell that assaults your senses as you crest the valley. Having driven in from a 'new' direction, I didn't recognize the terrain at first - and then I did. Knew exactly where I was, and knew it was coming, just around the corner. The smell alerted me I was close. And then, there it was. Breathtakingly beautiful, as it always is, no matter where I am on this planet. The ocean. The massive, beautiful, breezy ocean. As soon as I saw the deep blue with the waves breaking slightly on the shore, I literally felt my body relax - just 'sink' into peace - for the first time in forever.

I visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium last night, just before closing. Didn't have to pay to get in, since we're members - and was transfixed by the kelp exhibit. Getting low light from the late day sun - and the anchovies creating this spiral of fluid silver activity. I could have watched them for hours. I got a private 'tour' of the exhibit by one of the docents there - including her walking me around the tank showing me the fish that 'hide' until it's feeding time. It was just beautiful and I felt so lucky to have been there when there were absolutely no crowds of any kind. Might try to go back tonight before it closes, if I can sneak away from this evenings 'meeting activities'.

I had an Island Paradise cocktail last night while I waited for my 'to go' order at the bar. A mix of three kinds of tropical rums with some kind of juice. I don't know exactly what was in it - but it was delicious. And after eating my 'room service' meal that I brought in myself, I was so wiped out (having been up since 4 and in my office just after 5) that I fell asleep. Put on my PJs, put the do not disturb sign on the door (having suspected this is a swanky enough hotel to have a turn down service - which was confirmed upon opening my door this morning and finding their 'apologies' for not disturbing me to turn down my bed) and was asleep from just after 7 until 7 this morning. Woke only twice - once for some much needed water and another time to use the facilities. But the sleep was glorious. The room was incredibly quiet, temperature was perfection and I slept like a log. And I hope to do the same tonight, including the cocktail that helped induce the sleep. I needed it. I feel extraordinarily better today - ready to conquer the world, kind of.

I bought lottery tickets 'cuz I always feel like it's 'fate' that I'm in a certain place at a certain time. Sadly, we did not win last night, but thankfully, it rolled again, so I bought more. And that extra $3M from the roll would pay for a lovely home here, which would be fantastic.

This place is magical. I am going to promise that J. and I are going to be spending many long, wonderful weekends here in retirement. Just a short drive from home is beachy paradise, and I need that in my life....more often. I don't know why we haven't been coming here - just didn't realize how close it was since moving to Tracy.

It's time to head down to my meeting. More later. Greetings from sand, surf and sea lions. And Majah.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...