Friday, November 30, 2007

Stoned

J. has suffered through kidney stones many times. He's had to endure the 'sonic bathtub' treatment to blast them to bits - and passed many over the years. B. actually had one, too, already, in his young life. And now it's my turn. I've had twinges and aches for some time - and thought in the back of my mind 'I think something's not right with my kidneys'. And this week, it was confirmed ten-fold. A pain that awakened me Tuesday and Wednesday night was horrifically bad by Thursday morning and finally forced me to find a doctor in town. Diagnosis: kidney stone(s) passing. Or trying to pass, since I'm still in a world of hurt. I'm supposed to drink a ton of liquids...but drinking liquids leads to pain. Huge pain. So I'm drinking and medicating and sleeping. Had always thought Vicodin didn't really work for me - but it is. I take two and it does the trick. And then I sleep for hours. And wake up still sleepy.

It has been 'pleasant' to have a reason to lie around in bed and watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer - from Season 1 forward. I only started watching the show in the late 4th season so it's been fun to see it from the beginning - the full show set was a Christmas gift from J. a year (or two?) ago.

I was out sick 1/2 day yesterday and all day today and I will have to work this weekend because I have huge reports and deadlines looming that I must complete as early in this upcoming week as possible. I'll go in tomorrow for a bit and if I'm feeling bad, I'll haul stuff home, along with my work laptop and work at home. It will be OK. I'll get done what I can. If I'm not feeling better by Monday, I am to go back and the Dr. will order a scan to see what we're dealing with. It hurts like the dickens and I have a new respect for J. enduring this multiple times in his life. It's unpleasant, to say the least.

One son is staying over at a friend's house. The other is wanting to have someone over, which I'm just not up for. He is displeased. Oh well. He usually is, since that's a key job description component of an almost 17 year old.

I'm heading upstairs to continue my self-designed Buffy marathon and take some pain meds (drank a ton of water and apple juice with dinner and now the pain is back to my right side, where it started. Instead of moving to my back, which it had done as of this morning - so now I'm a bit worried that we're sort of 'starting over' in the path of the stone. It was supposed to move to the back and then out. But it's back where it started. Bugger). Probably just more stones moving out of the kidneys. Fun. That's certainly something to look forward to.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...