Monday, November 05, 2007

Guilty Pleasure

I stepped gingerly on the scale this morning, fully expecting to have gained a pound or two, possibly three. I was bad over the weekend - the Ben & Jerry's, chips, etc. I passed the weekend snacking vs. actually eating a real 'meal'. The closest I got to cooking was the baked potato I nuked on Saturday evening for dinner, topped with grated cheese, real butter, sour cream and bacon bits. Didn't have any green onions in the house and was too lazy to go get some, otherwise those would have been on there also.

I was down a pound, oddly enough. Seems some of my 'treats', while sweet, may not be all that 'bad' for me after all.

I stocked up on the "Happy Apples" - the packaged caramel and cinnamon candy apples that appear in the produce department every Halloween. They are DELICIOUS and while 'sweet', perhaps the fruit/fiber part of the apple helps lessen the impact of the 'candy' part? Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Had another tonight as 'dessert'. Might have to stop by the produce section tomorrow when I get my iced tea to see if they still have more and get some. They are great!

And, I have been 'exercising' more - walking Chloe 2-3 times per week - apparently so much that when I put the harness on her this afternoon, she looked slightly less excited than she usually does. I 'wogged' a bit - walked/jogged slowly with her trotting beside me. I have to remember that her teeny legs take many more steps to keep up with my longer stride. She has to really run to keep up if I'm wogging, so I try to just walk briskly. It's good exercise and we both are benefiting - she's still looking pudgy but it won't take long for her to thin down. She can't eat Dani's food anymore - she doesn't sneak Dani's treat out from under her nose anymore. So she'll lose weight eventually. And hopefully, so will I.

We have a new creamy yellow leather sofa/sleeper in the play room - our neighbors got a piano and made room for it by getting rid of a sofa. We were thrilled to have it - it's beautiful and perfect to replace the ancient, cat scratched sofa/sleeper we had in there - 20+ years old and showing it. The new couch is beautiful and wider - perfect for stretching out for a quick nap or while reading a book. Love it! Can't thank our neighbors enough!

I am searching high and low for a Nintendo Wii for Christmas. Why is it every Christmas is spent in an obsessive hunt for the latest electronics? And how/why/when did the Wii become so popular that it is out of stock virtually everywhere - EVERYWHERE. I will likely find one on eBay and decide how much I'm willing to pay to save myself hours of searching - as I did last year for the PS3. Oh well. We plan to put the Wii in the family room and have family 'tournaments' for the variety of sport games available.

The time change is strange - it's just after 6PM and it's already dark. The day flew by, which is rare for a Monday. I've planned a dinner and lunch with various friends in early December and might see N. for lunch on the Monday (next) holiday. Hope so. Plan to try.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...