Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Yoga

I'm taking a yoga class at the college on Wednesdays during lunch. It's only once per week - but I have to say that I absolutely cannot believe how much it is 'helping' the way I think about my body and it's limitations.

I have bursitis in both hips. Knee issues. Back issues. I walk with constant pain, pretty much. It's just the way I am. And I've used that as an excuse to not exercise. It's 'too hard'. Or it hurts (yes, it does hurt, all the time).

But yoga is making me 'push' myself to move in ways I never imagine. I can sit cross legged on the floor. I CAN. I can't do it 'well' or perfectly comfortably - but I CAN do it. And I can stretch my back and my hips and my shoulders into and out of positions I never imagined I'd be able to. BUT I AM.

It's a start. I found a yoga class in Tracy on Monday evenings and I'm strongly considering signing up for that as well. Then I'd have two times each week that I'm forcing my body to MOVE.

Yoga is powerful stuff. Anyone who thinks it can't possibly be an effective 'workout' has never tried it. It makes your muscles sore and stretched and feels so, so GOOD.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...