Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering

As most of America is today, I am remembering 5 years ago. Where I was, what I was doing when I heard. I was in my car on the way to work and called J. to say 'hey, turn on the news - something's happened in New York - they say a plane has hit to World Trade Center'. I imagined it was a private plane, small and an accident - something completely not planned. I was so wrong. When the 2nd plane hit, I heard about that, too, on the radio on the way into work. I couldn't believe it. Just couldn't 'get it'. Even when I got to work and watched what was happening on the TV set up in the cafeteria, I couldn't fathom it.

I came home mid-morning - my corporate company did the 'right thing' and offered for folks to go home - to be with family, check on relatives, if needed. J. and I sat in the family room of our 'new' home and watched. And I commented 'they won't collapse, will they?'. And then, they did. Incredibly. Terrifyingly. And I just sat there and thought "I can't believe this is happening". Like so many of us. I mourned for those lives then and I do today, still.

I watched the documentary last night done by the two French brothers who were filming the fire crews. I had never watched it before - always turned the TV off saying 'no, I can't watch it'. But I did last night, in memory of all those that died. I also watched the "Primetime" segment on the children of 9/11 - those born after the attacks to a widowed mother. And I remembered. I will never forget.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...