Thursday, July 06, 2006

Gone

B. is on his way to Paris via Detroit. Departs Detroit at ~6:30PM our time for an 11:40AM arrival time in Paris (Paris time).

My confidence in his abilities to keep track of everything and manage on his own was severly challenged by the fact that he left his wallet on the backseat of the car when we dropped him at the airport curb. Thankfully, H. made a joke about 'losing your wallet' and B. said 'I have my wallet' and felt in his pocket only to realize he DIDN'T HAVE IT. We got J. on his cell phone (he was parking the car) and asked him to bring it. I'm hoping that's the ONLY time B. will have lost track of it. We can only hope.

I wasn't feeling too confident myself, since I'd left the notebook at home where I carefully took notes at the last meeting - the notebook that has the leader's cell phone #'s, etc. AND, I arrived at the airport with a soon-to-be-dead cell phone that I had luckily shut off in the car, so there was just enough 'juice' to make that ONE CRITICAL call to J. about retrieving the wallet before he joined us at the check-in.

There are 34 high school students and 3 group leaders winging their way across the pond tonight. They were an impressive group with their matching maroon shirts, khaki pants and backpacks filled to the brim with snacks, cameras, reading materials, etc. They were excited and fun-filled and oh so anxious to be done with their 'parental units' for their 3 week venture into adult-hood.

I'll keep you posted on their journey, which I hope I'll be filled in on from B. via email and an occasional phone call. I'm learning to knit while he's away - a 'joke' that is true, actually. Will help to pass the time and I hope to have a scarf or at least a cat toy done by the time he gets home in 19 days.

Tomorrow, we take H. to the airport for his 10 days at snowboard camp at Mt. Hood in Oregon.

Let the 10 days of 'no kids' commence. Fire up the hot tub, Wook.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...