Sunday, July 23, 2006

Perspective

We enjoyed a concert at the Cedar Mountain Winery last night - Megan Slankard and her band and David Paul Newell. The music was great. The weather was horrific. It was 114 in Livermore yesterday - even hotter than in Tracy. Typically, driving over the pass leads to a 10 degree + lowering in temperature - but not yesterday. It was miserable. The air was completely still so sweating profusely did nothing to cool the body down. It was so hot. And I was so miserable. I just don't do heat well anymore....grew up in Arizona in scorching heat (my mom would always say 'yes, but it's a dry heat') but now, I just can't take it. Was headachy and tired feeling. Food didn't taste good. Good wine didn't taste good.

There was a family with two young boys. The youngest was just what I needed. He danced along to the music. Twirled in circles during the songs. He didn't care that it was 100 degrees at 6PM. He was having fun. Kids are so good at living in the moment. I needed his reminder to enjoy the moment. Any and every moment. So I tried to take my lesson from him and started focusing on the music. Enjoyed and thanked God for the few small breezes that blew sporadically. Reminded myself that last year at the same concert, we were all FREEZING - buying cup after cup of coffee and hot chocolate to try to stay warm. At the end of the concert, the little boy went up and gave Megan a great big hug. He knew he had enjoyed a great time and thanks to his reminder, so did I.

Looking forward to next year - though if it does end up being a scorching day again, I will bring wet dish towels and my spritzer fans for cooling off.

B.comes home TOMORROW. By 1AM tomorrow morning, he will be winging his way home. We'll be waiting for him at the security checkpoint tomorrow at SFO and can't WAIT to see him!!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...