Sunday, August 27, 2017

Not Exactly as Planned

J. had a ticket to see Tom Petty on Friday evening in downtown Sacramento.  He purchased the ticket in June and I immediately made a reservation at Thunder Valley for us to spend the night up there.  I had to pay for one night's stay and then hope/pray they would allow it to be comped - waiting for the August 'offers' to be cycled - and yes, it was eventually comped.

I left work around 1PM on Friday and we were ready to pull out of the driveway at 2PM - pausing in the car to (finally!) sync my phone to J.'s car so I/we could listen to my tunes as well as his on the way up.  The 1.5 hour drive took 2.5 hours with the usual Friday traffic.  Thank goodness we left early because I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I'd left work at 2 or 3.

We checked in and got to our room - I hears J.'s cell phone ring.  He exited the bathroom and I commented 'we'd better go get dinner before you need to leave' and he replied 'we can get dinner anytime you want'.  Cryptic.  It bugs me when he does this....but he finally said 'the show's been cancelled - I just got a call and a text'.

And it turns out he received an email at 2:01PM notifying him of the cancellation - when we were syncing my phone.  If we'd received the email, I would have still headed up - because cancelling a comped room less than 24 hours in advance results in a full charge of the room - $550 on a Friday night - but we didn't.

It worked out fine - we had a nice dinner and J. enjoyed time with his politics and a 75" flat screen TV while I played a bit.  And him not being at the concert kept me playing 'lightly' - so I didn't lose every dime I had - even though he said 'go do whatever you want', I still felt like I should be back in the room with him.

He had told our kennel lady we planned to pick up Chloe around 3PM on Saturday and she said nothing at that time - and we received a text on Saturday afternoon confirming her pick up time for Saturday was 8AM to 11AM ONLY - thus requiring me to get up pretty much like it was a work day so we could get to Ripon in time.  That was also probably a really good thing because I had little time to play the next morning.  I am irritated at her but we just cancelled a two week stay ($300+ out of her pocket) so she's likely irritated with us, too.  Glad we have a backup in Livermore -

Chloe was picked up, came home and slept for four hours.  She was exhausted!  I actually also took a nap - as I drifted off, I said 'I'll just close my eyes for a few minutes'.  THREE HOURS LATER, I woke up - and was worried I wouldn't sleep at all last night, but I slept great.  I think I needed a catch-up sleep myself!

We're spent a leisurely Sunday watching The Paper Chase and Star Trek: Saving Spock.  I've been doing a little bit of tidying around the desk area.  We are awaiting confirmation from 'the kids' of our plans to remove a bunch of stuff from our garage and get it to their apartment.  We figure with three cars to do the transport, we can make good progress....but as usual, getting any kind of confirmed anything from the two of them is next to impossible.  I'm not holding my breath.

I've made steady progress on year-end and feel in decent shape for the week ahead.  Still a lot to explain - but I've got time and can always put in a day over the Labor Day weekend if needed.

We're praying for all the people affected by the hurricane in Texas.  And for our country who is being managed by a despicable person who has no business being The President.  The divide in our country is appalling and shocking - I feel naive about so many things - witnessing so much hate lately.   I can't imagine that he will be in this role for his full term?  Because really?  How can we allow that to be?

Like a lot of people, I feel sad and disillusioned and powerless.  But I'm also getting more and more pissed off.  And so are a lot of other people.

We deserve better, America.

No comments:

March

I'm starting to think maybe I will just do a monthly post and call it what it is - whatever month we're in.  Here we are winding dow...