Sunday, May 21, 2006

Growth

H. is turning the big THIRTEEN this Thursday. Amazing. He's also growing like crazy and in a few months, will be taller than me - finally catching up to his feet which are freakishly large in comparison to the rest of him. But it appears he's going to grow far taller than we thought and his feet will no longer be so out of proportion with the rest of him. Thank goodness. The kid's been looking like something from Ringling Brothers with his gigantic feet on such a small-framed, lean body.

He's very excited about being a 'teenager'. We are making the traditional 'Happy 13th Birthday' poster which I didn't realize was a tradition until he asked about it. We made a giant foam-board poster for B. on his 13th and he still has it proudly displayed in his room. So H, wants the same thing. We went to Michael's today and picked up our poster supplies and I've added that to my 'Home To Do' list (not to be confused with my 'Work To Do' list) and will get it done tomorrow night.

We have a busy week coming - it's the time of year when there is a constant stream of awards banquets, concerts, open houses, etc. It feels like we're never home. Today, my 'secret weapon' was actually closing up the laptop and putting it the cupboard above the desk so I wouldn't be tempted to play games, read blogs, etc. for a good chunk of the day. We worked on cleaning out the garage, tidying up the house, the laundry mountain that reappears every weekend, etc.

J. is getting a new car this week - a hybrid Camry. B. will 'get' J.'s old care - a 2001 Acura TL. Not too shabby for a kid to have for his first car. B. is still a few months away from getting his permit - but I'm really looking forward to his being able to schlep himself to and from next year. I can have my 'flexible departure time' from work back once he can drive and I'll be glad for that return. I leave in a rush everyday no matter how well I try to plan my leaving and my desk is a wreck.

So posting may be few and far between this week but I'll try to catch up on the weekend. We leave for Hawaii in a little over 2 weeks - can't wait. Well, I can sort of wait - the plane ride to and from is not something I'm looking forward to. J. says he'll have me drink a couple mimosas or something on the plane and hopefully, I'll just sleep through the whole 'we're flying over an ocean for FIVE HOURS' part of the trip. Our return flight has us leaving Maui at 11PM and flying all night long, so sleeping through that flight should be relatively easy. I hope so.

Aloha.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...