Sunday, September 19, 2021

Sometimes it Will Be a Hard Day

Today is J.'s 72nd birthday and he amazes me.  He is proof age is just a number.  Though his hip is pretty sore (making his knees 'easy' relatively speaking) he still does plenty every single day.  He tends the yard daily, keeps the bird baths clean and full and does tons of stuff inside the house as well.  And plays golf one to two times a week depending on his club events and Atlantis tournament play.  He's a rock star.  And will likely have a hip replacement surgery at some point not too far in the future. 

My phone rang (and I turn on the sound every morning - something I almost never did before all the recent H. stuff) - it was an appointment reminder for a Wednesday appointment.  I was so disappointed it wasn't a call from H. to wish his dad a happy birthday.  

I had even more hope than usual when a conversation (via Facebook Messenger) with someone H. was in touch with in late August said he had said he would only be calling his parents for special occasions.  Sort of confirms what we've been thinking more and more the past couple weeks:  he doesn't want to be 'found' and he doesn't really want contact.  This person is who he borrowed the $50 he (finally) paid me for his monthly cell phone bill - the issue that started to break all his carefully crafted stories into a zillion tiny pieces.  When my mind really started to think 'if he truly has the great job he keeps telling us about, he wouldn't have any issue coming up with $50 - unless he's using again and/or doesn't actually have the job he keeps insisting he does'.  

Once those doubts started to creep in, I started sleuthing and it all crashed pretty soon after that.  To know he was planning to just 'disappear' - I'm not surprised but still.  Not being in touch is what it appears he was planning -

Guess it's good we pretty much feel the same way.  

We're heading to Reno in a bit - we'll spend time playing - hopefully J. will want to play slots with me a bit and then he'll head off and play blackjack for a bit.  Dinner reservations at 5:15 and we'll celebrate with a great meal and a carrot cake - our favorite.  

Chatted on Messenger with my cousin S. this morning who read the blog and got caught up.  Encouraging words to remind us that it's a hard thing to 'let go' but it's so much better for our psyches.  

J. is playing golf tomorrow and my big agenda item is mopping the floors.  Funny thing is that the general lightening of my well being has made everyday mundane stuff not as much of an 'ugh' as it was for a bit.  Keeping the homestead in good shape, caught up and getting into routines is really helping.  

My closet redo is second on the list - it's a work in progress but I walked into it last night as I was tidying my room before heading to bed and it's really starting to look nice.  Sort of an 'ahhh' reaction as I notice the details of things looking organized, tidy and put together.  I love that feeling.  

There's a Dan Fogelberg concert streaming on KNX-FM and I'm reliving all the concerts I was fortunate to attend in my younger years.  I lost count of how many performances of his I was blessed to be at but it's more than five and less than ten, I think.  Sometimes just him, a guitar and a piano...and sometimes with his full band.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...