Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Mid Week

It's only Wednesday and I'm having a second Blue Moon.  Celebrating another meeting with our finance advisor who confirmed we will be fine.  Totally fine.  Though still have to be judicious and careful.  I'm going to do some work on fine tuning our budget - be more specific so when we are living on retirement income, we can really know what we need for food and stick to that amount.  It's still a very generous budget and I know we will be OK. 

It was a cold and blustery day with a huge storm front over our area and San Francisco.  Pouring rain in the city and all the way home - J. (bless his heart) encouraged me to just keep my eyes on my phone (playing a game probably) vs. watching the traffic.  I've had a lot of white knuckle driving this weekend with lots more to come - tomorrow is a marathon day of meetings all over the place followed by a Friday off to drive up to Carson City.  Solo.  After a huge snowfall.  I feel nervous but I'm going.  Unless I wake up Friday morning and it's blizzard conditions.  There's really only about 1/2 hour of white knuckle on the trek - at the highest point and then you come down and you are pretty sure you are OK.  I have cables and I know if there are warnings that say 'chains required', I will pull over, pay someone whatever they want to put the cables on and then pay again to take them off at the other side of the pass. 

I can do this.  I want to do this.  I am looking forward to a fun weekend and some me time - and thank you to J. who is probably likely as thrilled for a wife-free home for 3 days.  LOL. 

We are SO close to a final floor plan and thanks to my very talented husband, we solved two issues with the latest version.  The plan had the entry from the garage through the laundry room and I don't like that. By agreeing to move the pantry wall (losing a little space in what is still a very generously sized pantry), we gained a true 'mud room' where we can have a bench and an area to take off and hang wet clothing and put wet footwear away to dry.  It seems essential in a snow climate. 

The other issue/concern was that the toilet area in J.'s bathroom was over sized so he altered it to make it smaller.  I'm not sure it will save us any money - but it might.

We hope for final plans sometimes this week and when we've signed off, the plans will be sent out for all the things like elevations, etc..  We hope to trek to Carson City again in mid-February to make all the decisions about flooring, cabinetry, lighting, paint, sinks, etc..  It's going to be crazy. 

It's already half way through January - so only 5.5 months to go!  It's zooming by which is wonderful. 


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...