Friday, January 18, 2019

You're Never Too Old

to be outside your comfort zone. 

I read the CalTrans update over and over in the early hours of this morning.  'It doesn't say impassable.  It says chains required.  So it's not that I can't get there - I just might have to use the cables.  I'll have to get help putting them on.  But I can get there.  May be a long day but I can do it'. 

Thanks to my uber patient husband who took every nervous phone call.  The plan was to head to Reno and if it was too bad, I'd simply turn around and come home.  I drove to Auburn and stopped for a restroom, beverage and food break and within a couple of miles back on the road, J. called to inform that there was some good news - chains now only required for westbound.  Woo hoo!! 

There was a 'full stop' area where three lanes merge into two.  And a long stretch of going 20 miles an hour but that was completely fine with me.  Not looking to rush. 

Everyone's in the same boat - there were zillions of cars without four wheel drive and snow tires on the road today - all moving cautiously and carefully to get from Point A to Point B.  No crazy drivers weaving in and out - and trucks had been forced off to confirm they had chains before proceeding up.  It was a longer than usual drive - about 4.5 hours total - but I made it.  And the snow was...so, so beautiful.  Breathtaking, really.  Small slivers of blue sky with a little sun shining through now and then on all the glistening white trees and hills.  It was so pretty. 

And once in Verdi, little to no snow.  The valley doesn't really get much - so living in Carson City won't be too bad. 

I'm in my room getting ready to head down for some Linner.  I've eaten two bites of a vanilla scone since dinner last night and I'm super hungry.  And dying for a Blue Moon but I need to get something in my stomach before that can happen. 

I feel so proud of myself - I always tell people I work with 'it's OK when you feel nervous about doing something new - that's how you know it's something you need to do to push yourself.  Force yourself out of your comfort zone.'

We are all so much more capable than we realize.  And as I approach 59 years on this planet, I'm grateful to have today to remember as a reminder of that. 

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...