Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Post New Years

Not too many fireworks this year - there was a post on the neighborhood watch from someone who moved here from back east - chastising her neighborhood for how inconsiderate they were - her kids had been in bed for hours and now 'there's fireworks going on, a motorcycle going up and down the street, etc.' .   I stopped short of posting 'if you think this is bad, you'd better move.  Fourth of July is going to be so much worse'.  But I wanted to.  Welcome to Tracy, CA..  We'll help you pack to move back east.

Anyway....

I spent New Years Day cleaning the oven and wondering why I don't clean the oven more often.  It's still only about 1/2 done - I am so desperate, I'm strongly considering using the self cleaning mode which is frightening.  Four hours of a locked oven door with intense, high heat - I'm always terrified it's going to catch the surrounding cabinetry on fire.  It's scary.  But I'm getting there 'cuz we've scrubbed and used oven cleaning foam and it's still not looking great. 

I had brunch with a retired CBO friend this morning - great to see her and she gave me helpful tips.  As of this coming Saturday, I will be only six more months on the payroll of the district and then off to retirement.  Can't wait and know it is going to move by incredibly fast - already has. 

I am planning to go into the office tomorrow and Friday to get a head start on some projects and also start packing up my office.  My twelve year anniversary is Friday - so there's a lot of stuff that needs to be cleaned out and organized.  I also need to make a lot of lists of 'stuff' to update, make notes, etc..  I'm not going to be too detailed until I know the background of the candidate the Board hires - if they have some experience, then they'll need more help with learning our district, learning our finance system, etc. .  Vs. if they hire someone with little experience who may need more details on specifics - the list of 'must do' tasks by month, help with learning the State reporting software, etc.. 

No matter what, it's a lot of work ahead -

I've had close to two weeks of sleeping in and am feeling rested for the first time in ages. 

H. works at 11:30 tonight so he's being picked up around 10:45 this evening - he'll return after work around 8:30AM tomorrow and I think we're planning to take him home - or maybe we'll take him home Friday morning.  Not sure.  It's been nice having him here - though honestly, he's in his room 24/7 and we rarely see him.  I'm hoping he's not gearing up to asking us if he can 'stay here' (code for living here) - and I'm not ready to go back to that.  It's hard having him here while he's basically avoiding contact as much as possible - like what's the point?  And I'm not ready to take on the day to day tracking and unraveling things that goes on daily as a part of 'H. is here'.  No.  I don't think that will work.  And in 6-7 months, we are officially not nearby anymore. 

He did start New Years with quitting smoking - cold turkey.  He says 'it's what works best for me'.  Fingers crossed he can pull it off.  I did notice some cigarettes in the ashtray outside this morning so I wonder if he saved a couple as 'a puff now and then'.  During the transition, guess it makes sense. 

I sure hope he really quits.  It's so bad for him -

I'm binge watching baking shows on Netflix - and it's approaching 9PM and I feel ready for sleep. 


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...