Friday, August 03, 2018

Changing Perspective

Today was a super hard day.  My assistant is now a teacher at the neighboring district here in Tracy.  I am thrilled for her since teaching is what she wants to do for a career.  The tons of stuff she did daily/weekly/monthly is all on my shoulders now - in addition to all the stuff I do anyway. 

I have moments when I feel completely competent and capable of juggling it all and moments when I want to run screaming from the building.  Today was an overwhelming 'I am so done' kind of day. 

Possibly being way closer to retirement than I'd planned is influencing my perspective?  Not sure.  But it's possible. 

And today, this thought entered in the mix:  'I could retire at then end of March, 2019, and not do another budget.  I'd give up the amount I'd miss in pension annually for skipping April through June in order to never have to do another budget ever again.  It would be well worth it. 

But if that's the timeline, I need to basically clue people in by end of October.  I'll have to ponder that.  It would be nice if the district could hire my replacement in time to allow for some overlap. 

Expensive....but worth it. 

I'm going to take tomorrow (Saturday) off and put in some time in the office on Sunday.  I suspect that once I get a little more organized about the things that need doing and get a 'system' down, it will get easier.  And we have posted the job so hopefully, in a month, there will be someone who will be learning what to do and can take over.

R.'s dad dropped my rings by - and the pawn shop slip was in the envelope with the rings - and get this:  she took those rings to the pawn shop within one week of moving in here with H..  ONE WEEK.  She started stealing from us the minute she got here.  The only 'good' thing about that is maybe (fingers and toes) crossed there are more items that are in the pawn shop and when the 'clock' on the loan is over, there will hopefully be more notices about other missing items so I can get them back. 

Truly angry and disappointed that we invited a thief and a liar into our home.  I talked to H. about it and he was shocked, too - said she told him she was going to sell stuff and he said 'you can sell any of your stuff you want but nothing of my parents.  No way'.  He didn't know she'd stolen from us until towards the end of their time here - that's what he says.  I don't know if it's the truth or not but I do feel like his 'seriously?' reaction matched mine in terms of surprise and disgust.  He said 'I'm just so glad to be away from that level of crazy'.  Sums it up. 

Next week is the start of another year - teachers come back and school starts on Wednesday.  Before we know it, Winter Break 2018 will be upon us. 

It's going to be a long year that will likely go by like lightening. 

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...