Monday, May 14, 2018

Unraveling

J. and I are at that age where things happen and we struggle to keep memories straight.  For the past couple days, we've been noticing that money isn't where it should be.  I use an envelope system and money has gone missing over the past few days.  But I never want to accuse - because it's possible, I counted wrong.  Or we used one envelope for something else and didn't write down the changes on the envelope?

But this morning, I'm pretty sure - we're being stolen from.  I shouldn't be surprised, really - but the confirmation of it - having just counted an envelope before I went upstairs last night, noted the amount and waking up this morning to find $60 missing - is so shocking, I feel like I've been stomach punched repeatedly.

Our house guests are already gone - I'm thinking she's moving the car 'cuz she knows we're pretty darn close to getting one of those gadgets that locks the steering wheel so she can't take the car anymore.

Sadly, I think we're going to have to up the timeline considerably and just get the locks changed and call it done - sooner rather than later - we aren't going to give them too long anyway so what difference does a couple weeks make in the grand scheme of things.

And this is the start of another long stretch of multiple work days in a row.  I finished my 20th day straight on Saturday, enjoyed yesterday off and now am looking at (at least) 26 days in a row.  Counting those days out and writing that total down is hard.  But it is what it is.

And yes, we are going to lock up all the envelopes in the safe from now on along with everything else we need to lock up.  Don't trust our guests as far as I can throw them - and we're so done.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...