Saturday, April 09, 2016

In This Week's News

Chloe turned 11 on Thursday.  I played with her when I got home and she got a late evening treat of a scrambled egg on a plate.  Shortly after, she was 'dead dog' on her side sleeping it off.  She's 11 and an 'old lady' now, sort of, though she still runs us ragged so I think she's doing pretty well.

I've spent the day cleaning my desk (at home) and have made some pretty darn great progress.  Now, though, I really need to dig in to finalizing three sets of taxes 'cuz I leave for Pasadena on Wednesday and won't return home until a week later - so it's this weekend or die trying.  Sure, J. could finish them up - but I'm pretty close to being done so I'm going to regroup and recheck, then file.  B. is getting refunds; H. owes (investment income is a nice thing to have until you have to pay capital gains at the age of 22).  He will soon be 23.  Geez.... time flies.  We owe as we always do and while I should take any and all raise this year and apply it to our taxes (again - didn't see a dime of the last raise, either), I'm not going to.

I was about to avoid taxes again to run out to the bank to get our weekly cash; the liquor store where I buy Scratchers to cash in some winners and maybe get a Frappucino when it started pouring buckets of rain!  We've had light drizzles today, rain off and on all night and the last hour has been pouring! It's so great!!  They showed pics on the news a few nights ago of the change in Folsom lake and it's filling up!  We're far from over the drought but it's getting better. We're going to keep mightily conserving (buckets in the shower forever, baby!).

B. called this morning briefly to say 'hi and bye' as he heads out for a week of maneuvers - no contact allowed.  It looks like his friend A. won't make the ball - not because of any mom issue but because she is going to Japan to teach English and she has to be in Los Angeles on the 6th...the day of the ball.  Bummer.  He is surprising her with flowers this week since he can't talk to her.

Our backyard patio is a lake!  The water is covering J.'s feet!  All the drains are draining as fast as they can but it's just too overwhelming.  The pool has gone up 2 inches or more in the last hour and the spa is filled with muddy water from the draining from the yard onto the patio and then into the spa.  It's going to be a mess to clean when it's done.  We've both taken off our shoes to go out and make sure the drains aren't clogged - they aren't.  They're just overwhelmed.  It's fairly warm so we're damp but not freezing.

H.'s oncologist has had to go through hoops with our insurance company to get scans approved.  He ordered them with and without contrast and the authorization we received in the mail today is only without.  That worries me.  J. is going to call on Monday.  I think he has lost more weight (which he denies).  I'm very worried.  More worried than I've ever been since his cancer journey began two years ago.  I try not to be but something is seriously wrong.  I feel it.

Still raining hard.  Street drains overwhelmed, too.  Front flower beds are flooded, too.  Love it!! (While I simultaneously worry about the standing water reaching the foundation of the house).  It's like a hundred year storm.

Alright, I must get to taxes.  No more stalling.  They are close to being done and by dinner time, they will be.  I'll feel a zillion times lighter when that massive 'to do' is off my list.  Our bank account will be a zillion times lighter as well....but oh well.

American President is on!! Taxes will be much easier with my favorite movie on while I finish them up.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...