Sunday, April 03, 2016

Another Month - Already

Happy April!  March was a blur.  April, May & June will likely be much more of the same.

Chloe is protecting me from the sound emanating from the kitchen which is sweet J. chopping my carrots and celery for my lunch/snack bag...it's Sunday and sadly, I need to head into the office for a good chunk of the day.  She's growling low every time the knife hits the cutting board.  Silly puppy.

Everything at work feels miles 'behind' and I fear what April, May & June will bring.  I know I can do it - I always end up getting everything done but this year is really, uberly cray cray.  New payroll person who is not in the office 60% of the time (because she's at our County Office training).  Her sole focus right now is just learning how to pay people - which is her #1 priority for the foreseeable future.  But positions control, etc. are all now resting squarely on my shoulders and as we approach budget, it's mind boggling.  Not to mention that we are still not settled for this year (re: negotiations) and those activities will be thrown in the mix as well.

B. phoned me at work earlier this past week to share that there now appears to be an issue with his friend A. joining him in May for the Battalion Ball.  Her previously enthusiastic mother has decided that she shouldn't travel to attend with B. - and honestly, the only 'reason' is it appears she (the mom) has decided that B. isn't 'good enough' for her daughter.  B. felt hurt at some of the things the daughter has shared - and even knowing (because her daughter told me at dinner) that her mom is a major helicopter parent doesn't help.  B. is attracted to girls who are very smart and talented and going places - and there's no denying that right this minute, he is a soldier.  He has all kinds of plans for the future but at this moment in time, he is 25 years old and a soldier.  So I 'get' when a mom might think he isn't the 'catch' she envisioned for her daughter.  But I'm his mom and I can unequivocally say that he's been raised right; he's smart and gifted; he's kind and thoughtful; he is a great listener and communicator and he's been raised to cherish whomever he falls in love with - 'cuz that's how his dad treats me.  A girl could do far worse, in my opinion.

I told B. that the issue is truly between A. and her mom and that for the most part, he needs to stay out of it.  A. will need to decide and as it stands now, she appears to be planning to 'defy' her mom and get to the ball in El Paso as planned.  Fingers crossed.

H. is still skinnier than he should be though he keeps trying to convince me he's gained weight.  He says the medication seems to be increasing his appetite a bit and he's been drinking plenty of protein smoothies because he doesn't have issues keeping those down.  We await scans which will be scheduled this week, most likely -

Last week was Spring Break and I wedged in one day off - which is pathetic.  Oh well.

Off to the trenches.....grrr.  I'm imitating Chloe now.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...