Sunday, April 10, 2016

Biggest Storm Ever

We had at least 12 hours straight of steady rain yesterday and into last night.  The water on our patio was deep enough to cover our feet and we did go out in it to check the drains.  No clogs - there was just so much water, they couldn't keep up.  The drenching continued into the early morning hours and every time I got up to go to the bathroom in the night, I was tempted to go check outside to be sure we weren't completely flooded.  The drenching was GREAT but the aftermath is messy.  The spa is muddy; the pool is dirty and there's stuff sticking to the tile in both.  I think we'll do a good brushing and run the spa all day (no heat - but it filters better when it's running) and the pool pump, too.

There were pictures of our neighborhood posted on Facebook showing the streets full all the way up to people's lawns - so sidewalks completely covered with water, too.  It was the most rain I've ever seen fall in a short time and it was sort of fun!  And awesome since we appreciate every single drop we get these days.

I managed to wind up two of the three sets of taxes last night and am kicking myself for not having done a little more on Friday night - 'cuz if I had, I would have realized that we need B.'s driver's license info to finalize his e-filing.  Dang it!  He's not available until probably next weekend and that's OK - my laptop will be accompanying me to Pasadena so I can always e-file from there.  Or from the Grand Californian on Sunday or Monday.  It will get done.

On my way to work today, I will stop at the bank and move the $ needed to cover the tax payments coming out next Friday.  We're paying H.'s taxes for him since we got a $4,000 deduction by claiming him as a dependent (which he totally is at the moment).  Feels good to have them done -

I'm hopping into the shower - gave myself a leisurely morning but it's time to head to the office - I have seven days out of the office and I need to get many, many projects ready for my assistant to work through.

On Friday, we discovered a gazillion 'mistakes' made in the past month - doing the monthly financials that go to our board often reveal things that are out of balance and there were many of those types of issues this month.  We spent all day Friday digging through the details and making corrections - identified a couple changes in our process that we will implement immediately so it won't happen again.  Some of the issues were just not noticing specific details - and that's what I always stress about the type of work we do - there is no such thing as a 'rote task'.  Yes, there are things you do over and over and repeat daily/weekly/monthly - but every single thing we touch requires careful thought and consideration before you jump in and do it.  Good reminders for her to double check her work; look at the account you just entered something on and see if it's 'right' before you move on to the next thing.  Unraveling a month worth of 'oops' with a board packet deadline breathing down our necks was not the most pleasant way to spend a Friday, but we survived.

Off to the Sunday races - add extensive packing to the list of Monday and Tuesday evening activities. Work clothes for the conference and fun clothes for Disneyland is going to be interesting while trying to pack light.  Packing light is not my strength.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...