Friday, April 15, 2016

Lovely Pasadena

Made the drive down to Pasadena in a brisk 4.5 hours - one stop in Castaic for bathroom break. Should have also fueled the car but made it to Pasadena with the gas light on from the minute I pulled onto the freeway again post-bathroom break.

The freeways are like I remember them from living down here - the lanes are narrow and people pretty much don't pay attention to them anyway so..  .  White knuckle driving in a lot of traffic but it's the norm here so - when in Rome, do as the Romans and just chill, baby.  It all felt 'familiar' and 'home-like' all the way into Pasadena - and I really love this city and think it would be so great to live here. Maybe someday.  The area I'm in is 'old downtown' which is having a renaissance - lots of newer condos going in - totally able to survive without a car, I think -

The first night, I found a Whole Foods - SIX STORIES - I pulled in thinking 'no parking' but there were three stories of parking underground and three stories of groceries above.  It was AWESOME! Procured healthier snacks, lots of water and some fruit to keep me hydrated and non-growly-stomach. Loved shopping there and sure wish we had one closer to home than San Ramon.

Hotel is nice though slow Internet.  Likely because there are people like me - with a work computer, and a 'play' (home) computer and an iPad.  Trying to simultaneously connect to the same connection. Some parts of the day are hopelessly bad but it's OK.  It gripes me but oh well.  It is what it is.

The first day, I got a little lost and walked way out of my way to get back to my hotel from the conference center.  I've learned a lot of short cuts since then and it's been pretty manageable so far. Last night, we went to the Carnegie Observatory for dinner and beverages - fascinating place.  It's in the middle of an old residential area and the telescope is 40 minutes away - and not used anymore. Too much light pollution.  I got to see and touch a meteorite that landed in Mexico in 1776.  I will try to post the picture later.  Carnegie is building a new telescope in the hills of Chile.  You can read about it here:

http://obs.carnegiescience.edu/content/giant-magellan-telescope-organization-breaks-ground-chile

I have a picture of a picture of Albert Einstein and others (including Hubble, the inventor of the Hubble Telescope) in the room we were in last night - a library filled with astronomical newsletters from centuries ago.  An engineer who left today for Chile spent time with us talking about the project and another astronomer (nicest lady ever) spent tons of time with us in the library as well.  It was a really fun evening - great food, good friends, wonderful learnings.  Considering I wouldn't have even considered going if my friend hadn't dragged me there - it was such a great time.

My introvert tendencies come out on trips like this - it takes so much energy and focus to spend all day with people - networking, chatting.  I know I should be 'good' at it, but honestly, I'm not - and I have no intention of improving, so here it is.  I am what I am.  One more day of constant activities...then off to the happiest place on earth with my best beloved.  This time tomorrow, I'll be looking forward to a good night's sleep and no alarm on Sunday!

J. took Chloe to the vet yesterday and what we thought was wrong is:  she has diabetes.  She's been ravenous for weeks - making us absolutely crazy with her constant begging for food.  And then she started drinking two or more HUGE bowls of water - and then piddling everywhere 'cuz she's drinking so much, she can't hold it.  So we enter into the world of giving injections to her twice a day - and a couple hundred $ in monthly expenses.  It did not go at all well with Snow but we are hopeful that Chloe will be 'easier' - she doesn't avoid us like the sick cat did.  We will do our very best to get her feeling better and keep her that way - for as long as we can.

H.'s scans are scheduled for Tuesday and he'll get blood work next week, too.  Then an appointment the week after.

I've got mountains of work piling up in my office and brought a bunch with me that I will need to take a stab at doing eventually - sooner rather than later.

Successfully filed B.'s taxes so we are all 'done' with days to spare.

I think I'm going to get my car out of valet ($21 a day vs. $19 a day for self park) and head to The Hat - great pastrami, they say!  Then a quiet night in my room with an early bed time to get caught up from my not so early bed time last night.

Can't wait to pick up J. on Sunday - I miss him!

OK - off for pastrami!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss you too! See you soon.

Luv,
Hubby

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...