Sunday, October 25, 2015

Owner Encounter

I've been reasonably sure since we arrived that the owners of the condo we are staying in were also here - in the other unit they own (which we have also stayed in when the kids were with us).  We've seen them down at the beach daily - they clearly have a routine and they act like owners.  Nothing derogatory implied in that statement - they just know where stuff is and do there own stuff - like finding the post hole digger digging the hole for sinking umbrellas into the sand and stuff like that. The guy does yoga daily on the front patio and around noon, they head down to the beach to spend the afternoon on two well shaded chaises to read and watch the world go by.

They eat home-made sandwiches and chips for lunch and bring their own beverages, like us.  They read a lot and nap on the beach and enjoy vegging....like us.

I kept telling J. 'I think that's S.' and he'd say 'go over and say Hi'....but I didn't want to intrude and felt that their vacation should be as sacred as ours in that you shouldn't have to deal with people who rent your home periodically.  Yesterday, I finally got up the courage and went over and asked 'are you S.' and she replied very cheerily 'yes!' and I said 'I am M.' and thanked her and her husband G. for sharing their slice of paradise with us.  Lively chatter ensued - they are very nice and we enjoyed chatting - gave us lots of ideas for series to binge watch and some info on the beach.  They are here for the owners annual meeting (tomorrow) and will be here a total of three weeks.

They suggested we make a trip to Akumel - really nice snorkeling there in a calm, secluded cove. Sounded like something we should consider.  It's a taxi ride there, hoping we find the right cove, likely crowded on a Sunday....

This morning, we woke up with the devices we have to tell us the time all saying something different. My iPad lost an hour (ala Daylight Savings Time though that's not supposed to happen until next Saturday night) while J.'s phone and my computer stayed where they were....so we honestly have no idea what time it is.  I thought I was up at 7:30 (my norm) when it may be actually 8:30.

J. asked 'so you want to go to Akumel?' and I replied 'sure, if you want to'.  And God love this man - he said 'I'm sort of ambivalent'.  As am I.  Truth is, hanging out at the condo, reading, watching West Wing, heading to the beach whenever, ordering chicken nachos for lunch from the restaurant next store with nowhere to go and nowhere to be...that's my idea of this vacation.  This totally vegging, do nothing at all if we choose to beach fest.  Maybe we'll take a nice walk down Avenida Cinco - maybe we won't.  No plans and no need to make any.

I dreamed about work last night for the first time on this trip - and really, I so rarely dream about my job...but there it was.  In the back of my psyche....it's always there.  And in a few short days, it will be back - in all it's complicated, exhausting, challenging glory.

So for now, vegging is all I really want to do - nothing at all or whatever we want to do, whenever we want to do it - it's my idea of a perfect vacation - and I'm blessed to have a hubby who is either humoring his wife or enjoys vegging, too.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...