Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Christmas Joy!

B. won't be home for Thanksgiving and I'm disappointed about that - he was invited to the wedding of one of his Basic Training buddies in Turlock.  I've been in touch with the girlfriend/soon-to-be-bride over the years and was really excited when B. agreed I could be his 'plus one'.  They are such a sweet couple and so supportive of each other - and I love how Facebook has made it possible to be in touch. The bride went on a church mission trip last year and we made a donation to the trip so she could load her suitcase with toys, etc. to take for the kids.  D. (the groom) told B. 'your Mom is amazing' - which I thought was so sweet.  We were happy to help with a worthy cause - and support this lovely young lady in her faith journey.  Sweetest couple...really just amazing.

But he waited too long and the airfares are crazy - so he's not coming.  I've been feeling disappointed but I am also proud of him because we offered to foot the bill for the ticket (as a gift, not a loan) and he declined saying 'no, I need to do better and do these things myself'.  So while it really hurt me to not just pay for the ticket no matter the cost, I agree that he has to start doing a better job budgeting and planning - and it's not the best thing parenting wise to always come through for him - loan or no loan.  Life's challenging and he needs to learn that on his own.  The hard way - and this lesson feels really hard on both of us.

I've been adjusting to the thought of Thanksgiving without him and it will be OK.

And he's been pretty clear that Christmas is out of the question - they are heading out for some big maneuvers in January and they have been told 'no leave' for Christmas.  THAT lump in my throat has taken a lot longer to work through - I really haven't been able to even think about Christmas without feeling all 'clenchy' and sad.  I understand it's his job; realize that someday, he will not be home for Christmas - but I'm not ready.

Last night, I messaged him quickly to let him know I would send back the wedding reply card with 'regrets' and would send a lovely gift from our family when we get back from Cancun.  He concurred that was the best approach and apologized again, saying 'I need to do better'.  And I replied 'yes, you do - but it's OK'.

Then he said 'on a much better note, I'd like to show you this' and in the message (Facebook) was a picture of his phone with reservations for ELP to OAK arriving 12/24!!  He is coming home for Christmas - only 5 days but I'll take it!!  I told him to 'BOOK IT NOW'! so he did.  Southwest will not charge him change fees and he'll have to pay the difference in fare - or cancel and keep the credit out there until he can use it (within a year).  It's a win-win!  I'm so, so excited to have him home 'cuz I really wasn't sure how I was going to do without him home.

So happy.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...