Sunday, October 11, 2015

Beach on the Horizon

Today's goal is getting to WinCo with H. in tow so we can do a good stock up shop before J. and I leave.  Normally, I'd be doing this shop next Saturday (the day before we leave) but there's a baby shower that day and I'm hoping to get there.  The day before we leave for 10 days.  It's a crap shoot if it will be a yes or a no but I'm going to try.  I have no gift purchased, no idea when I will get something purchased - but it's on my list so there's hope.

J. and I had a nice date night which included a really nice dinner out.  It was pricey and a huge treat and it made me realize how very little we eat out these days.  Takeout, yes.  Sitting at a table with linens and cloth napkins, food and beverages?  Not very often at all.  We also saw The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe at Gallo - it was so-so and we bailed at intermission.  It was a good play but not really as much of a 'production' as we're used to - and we both were OK with leaving.  We got the tickets for 1/2 price and we stayed for 1/2 the show - so it's OK.

I'm still having sinus issues like crazy and spent the night coughing up a storm.  This morning, I switched my regular Claritin to a Claritin D to see if that makes a difference.  So far, the only difference is that slightly off/sleepy feeling I always have when I take any product with the "D" ingredient.  So H. left to go help a friend 'beat a boss' on a game and we will make our way to Winco this afternoon.  Sonic will be involved - food and slushies!

I spent the morning charting out retirement scenarios and feel better - I'm trying to make it long enough to have one year of longevity included in my pension but that means another 7 years...which sounds like forever but - it's do-able.  We'll see.  At least I know we could manage sooner if we needed to.

My work calendar is pretty open this week which is good 'cuz I have a massive list of things to get done before heading to the beach.  Board meeting night on Tuesday -

I need to eat something and get showered and ready to run errands with H. .  We will be leaving him some money but I am determined to try to have things here that he can easily fix.  He will have a load of free time on his hands because two of his classes are partial semester and they end this coming week.  Next semester, he will add Chemistry and Physics to the mix - along with three P-tech classes.  He's starting to think about looking for a job - just 20 hours or less a week to bring in some pocket money so he's not draining his savings to cover his weekly cash needs (lunches, gas, a little free money for time with friends)....I'm suggesting he apply at Amazon (here in town) for seasonal work and try to work as many hours as he can between semester breaks.

He's doing really well in school and we are so, so proud of him...but the best part is:  he's very proud of himself and that's HUGE.  He's getting more and more confident that he can do this and that's a huge step for him - school has never been his 'thing' but he's turning that around.

Beautiful sunny day today - wishing for rain but enjoying the cooler, sunny weather that fall brings.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...