Saturday, September 26, 2015

Blue Boxes

Awhile back, J. made lobster bisque with the little bit of leftover lobster from our Christmas in August feast.  We could have made broth with the leftover shells and I did give thought to doing that but instead, J. bought a 'carton' of fish stock and we used that instead.

The blue box looks pretty much identical to the box of almond milk also in the fridge and there have been many a morning when I have come perilously close to adding fish broth to my coffee instead of almond milk.  I'd like to think I'd notice the difference in the taste immediately - but here's the part that scares me the most:  I'm not sure I would.  My 55 year old palate is way less refined than it used to be so I'm not sure it would register.  And if it did, it would be so gross.

Those are the things you have to be aware of when you are trudging downstairs in the early morning hours barely awake.

Let's see.  What else is happening?  This was to be the first weekend in ages that we would be home...only it turns out J. has church music tomorrow so there goes our morning.  And last night, we got an email from friends who are in San Francisco for the weekend and hoping we could get together. I'd really love to see them - but I'd also really love for them to give us more notice when they are visiting and want to spend time together.  It's no easy trek for us to get to San Francisco and with J. playing music at church until after 11AM tomorrow, it will be tricky.  We are leaning towards meeting them in Pleasanton - they can BART there from the city and we can drive - and we'll eat at PJ Changs or The Cheescake Factory.  I put considerable effort into looking for unique dining places for an early dinner on Sunday but no restaurant in the area they are staying at in the city serves dinner before 5 - and I just can't be out so late and then deal with lots of traffic getting home on a work night.  Us getting to San Fran is at least 3 hours round trip and that's if everything goes perfectly. So no.  We can't do dinner.  I hope we figure something out.

I left work early yesterday just feeling 'bad' - sinus-y stuff happening and have no idea what to do about it.  It's likely a brewing infection and I know I should get to the doctor but it irks me to have the body of a three year old with constant ear stuff happening.  I'm going to get out the neti pot today and see if that helps.

I took Thursday off and spent the morning culling stuff from the garage.  Boxes and boxes of 'stuff' to donation so that felt great!!  Plan to do it again this coming week 'cuz I'm off most of Wednesday plus Thursday and Friday - trying to use carryover days.  I shouldn't be off - but oh well.  We had one day this past week with no internet - a construction crew on Hwy. 99 cut through the fiber cable and took out many county offices of ed and their surrounding districts.  It worked out 'OK' 'cuz I spent the day cleaning out files and getting my desk back in order and that 8 hours of organizing wouldn't have happened without the outage.

The wedding we attended last Saturday in Sacramento was lovely - fun to see family.  My favor had the winning dot on it - so we brought home the centerpiece - a fish bowl (that had floating lilies in it) along with a beta fish.  H. named him Bowzer - I was going for something classier like Bentley - and he's living on our breakfast counter.  He's making bubble nests like crazy, which the books say is a sign he's happy - though mateless.  H. wants to take him to his room but I'm enforcing the 'no liquids in rooms with carpet' rule against his wishes.  I do a lot of things against his wishes but oh well.

I did get a great set of photo booth pics with my sweet son and love them so much I wish I could get them enlarged.  The last one has his sweet head on my shoulder and it's a perfect pic - and when people see it, they are so 'ahhh....how sweet'.  Yep, he is.

Haven't heard much from son # 1 and that's typical.  As the mom, my role is to remind and fret and he hates that.  Though I hate noticing that he's already dipped into the savings he just added to his account via selling some of his stock - he paid us back in full (which our savings account appreciated greatly) and what was left went to his savings.  Which he's living on - and no matter how much I remind him that it's not savings if you view it as usable for any purpose , he still spends.

And he wants to buy a brand new Ford F150 truck.  Yeah, that's prudent.  You can't live on what you make as it is so add a $400+ car payment to the mix.  Heck, the payment for my Mariner was $700 for six years - I can't imagine how much a truck payment will be.

I'm the mom.  So he doesn't stay in touch with me much and that's OK.  I love him with all my heart and know he will figure things out on his own in his own time.  It's the way growing up works.

Fresh honeydew melon, coconut milk yogurt and a piece of toast for breakfast this morning.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...