Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Toes and Such

J. just left to take Chloe to the groomer who is working at the Petco in Livermore.  Livermore seems like a long way to go to get her groomed but she is the shaggiest beast of a dog and needs to be pampered and cleaned up in the worst way.  The groomer is also doing grooming at her home right around the corner from our house but she's booked into September for her Tracy clients that don't want to drive to Livermore.  So my sweet, retired hubby will trek over the Altamont with her, spend some time doing a Trader Joe's shop and then trek back with a trimmed, sweet smelling dog.  Chloe will be so happy to be trimmed - she spends a good chunk of the day lazing around panting at the 'heat', silently willing us to turn the thermostat down....but we won't.  Less fur will be a help.

I had both sides of both big toenails 'surgically' removed yesterday and at the moment, the toes are bandaged with pressure wrap.  They look like giant cake pops at the end of stubby sticks.  At 3PM today, I can remove the huge bandages, do the first of many warm water Epsom salt soaks and then re-bandage with just good old large Bandaids.  I'm thankfully not having too much pain and am hoping that's a good sign - though they are very protected at the moment from bumping and such so I'm not sure how it will be when they have no padding.  And I haven't put on shoes yet - so...there's still that challenge.

Thankfully, I'm off work this week so nowhere to be or go for the most part.  Just piddling around the casa with my guys.  H. joined me on a trip to Jackson Monday and we had a blast.  He's my lucky charm and while we didn't win 'big', I did arrive home with a bit more than I left with so that's good. We had fun and whenever he was near me, I'd hit something.  It was a nice day though any hopes of pleasant conversation on the drive up and back was immediately dashed with the realization that he would just konk out on both drives - headphones over his ears and sound asleep within minutes.  Oh well.  It was still a lot of fun and he is great company - sleeping or not!

J. and I have tickets to see Mary Poppins at Gallo this Saturday - it will be a fun show, I'm sure - a professional touring company and in the big theater.  Looking forward to it!

J. has been in touch with B. more than I - they catch up via texts most mornings.  I don't think B. has phoned home since he was here - and he will be back in a few weeks for a three week vacation...of course, I am entering 'year-end madness' and will be putting in very long days in August to get stuff done - and all of it must be done a tad early due to my Arizona vacation.  Should have thought it through a bit more - but perhaps not thinking it through is best 'cuz had I thought it through, I would have never done it.  :-)  Carpe diem! and all that -

Update:  cake pop toes are gone.  Undid the bandages (after the required 24 hours); took a shower (OK to get toes wet); 15 minute Epsom salt soak, carefully dried, Neosporin and fresh Bandaids applied.  They feel pretty good all things considered - when H. saw them in the soak, he was completely grossed out.  I don't think they look all that bad, really.  :-)

J. went to get us take-out sushi for dinner - last of the Christmas gift cards.  Chloe had a good trip to the groomer and looks so pretty - she is so proud of her sleek, thinner fur coat!  I've paid some bills; gotten an Amazon return ready to ship and also created a treat box for my cousin's daughter - hopefully will mail both tomorrow (with J.'s help).

Lazy mid-week and still have four days left.  I'm ready to go back sort of - but still glad to have more time off ahead.  I bought some suet cakes for the bird feeder stand we've installed and want to do some things outside in the morning before the heat gets unbearable.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...