Sunday, July 05, 2015

Girls Aren't the Only Ones

Who says the mom of boys can't enjoy a little mother-son pampering now and then?  H. and I ventured to the local nail salon - he got a mani/pedi and I got a mani.  On the way there, he tried to back out of the pedi saying 'I'm embarrassed 'cuz my toes are so bad' and I said 'that's exactly why you need a pedicure'.  He loved it!  But I'm sure he'll never admit it.

I said we could do that monthly and then said 'well, not if you're moving to Houston.  But you could get mani/pedis there, I'm sure'.  He said 'um, that won't be happening there'.  So I suggested adding 'no pedicures' to the Con list of his move to Houston.

I'm not above guilting him into staying.  I suggested he could be brave and bold and insist on getting pedicures to care for his feet if he moves - so we'll see.  It's personal hygiene and to heck with 'macho' attitudes.  He enjoyed it and he'd have nice looking nails if he did it regularly.

Why is it that nail salon staff think nothing of scolding their customers?  I finished my manicure and sat at the drying table while they finished H.'s pedicure.  Then he went over to the waiting area - and we waited.  And we waited.  I got up to pay (in advance of him being finished) so I could run my errand to the bank and then treating us to Starbucks and said 'he's waiting for a manicure'.  The lady who did his toes said 'why didn't you say that before' and I replied sweetly 'we did say it when we came in - twice'.  Grrr.

J. is visiting his brother in San Leandro today.  I'm not sure why he decided to go today - given he has five days at home alone but it was today he had to take off.  I feel distance creeping in to us and it's unsettling.  Not helped by dreaming that he and I were traveling together and he kept missing the bus, getting left behind - and then when he'd get caught up and rejoin, he'd kiss another lady!  Not me! The first time in the dream it happened, I was 'well, he was just happy to have found the group again' and felt it was sort of just an excited 'yay!' kind of kiss.  But the second time?  Not so sure.

Dreams....weird.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...