Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Other Things I Keep Meaning to Tell You

Random things that I keep meaning to jot down:

There was a recent national news story on two animals who were rescued by a group not far from here. The one rescued first was pining for his friend so much that he didn't eat or drink for days - so the rescue group contacted the former owner and discovered he had a friend.  They brought the friend and the reaction was immediate and priceless and so sweet.  I sent a donation to this organization in honor of those two animals now living out a happy life together.

Notice I'm not mentioning the name of the organization.  Why?  They do amazing work!  It's an awesome group.  But they are hard-core vegans.  I've got nothing against that.  Heck, I admire it.  But these folks are serious.  To the point where I now feel guilty for donating to an organization I really don't support - in that I am using animal products and (yee gads!) eat them, too.  So I'm not mentioning their name here lest I get slammed with comments or....well, I don't know what the or would be but I don't want any part of it. Admire the folks doing this important work and rescuing farm animals from bad situations and giving them a place to live out their days.  But.....

They bombard me with news feed on Facebook about why we shouldn't use animal products - and that's just not happening.  Eggs, cheese, chicken, beef, pork....love them all and still eating them.

We are totally hooked on The Honorable Woman - mini-series.  It's so complex and intriguing.  We record it late Thursday evenings and watch it usually on Friday evenings and then again over the weekend.  We've started using subtitles because the dialog is so fast (and with accents) and it helps us really 'get' what's being said.  It's wonderful television and Maggie Gllenhaal is amazingly talented!

To my wonderful husband, I sent this yesterday in an email:


I can work another ten years - and it's nice to know that it will likely be far fewer years than that.  But this is what I need.  I need the freedom to feel like there is enough discretionary income to just have fun with now and then.  Maybe for a shopping excursion.  Or a trip somewhere.  Or a trip to Vegas! or Jackson!  Just a way for me to blow off some steam.  If our budget is so tight that there's never any fun money, then working is drudgery for me and it's hard to drudge alone.  And it will be impossible to drudge alone for ten more years.  Seriously.  I can't do it.  

That's all I'm saying.  

And upon arriving home last night, he said 'which account do I take the $1,000 from'?  

He gets me.  :-)  


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...