Saturday, September 20, 2014

House Projects

Looks like we have decided to redo the floors including the dining room.  I stare at the hutch full of my wedding china and other very sentimental, old pieces I've collected from aunts, cousins, grandmothers.  All of it will need to be moved out of the hutch and somewhere 'safe' for a few days while the carpet is pulled out and laminate is put down.

(Side note:  we decided to go with laminate on the advice of the flooring guy who said with a pet and someone who constantly drips on the carpet [his name starts with an H. but he refuses to admit it's him.  It is.], laminate would hold up better in our 'life' at this point.  Guess we need to rethink hardwood for our next house, too, with the hope that somedays, there will be littles running around it now and then - in the form of grandchildren.  So laminate it is).

We have enlisted H.'s help and offered to compensate appropriately - we need him 'cuz there is no way me and my beloved can do this by ourselves.  We need brute strength and H. has that in spades over the two of us.

(Another side note:  J. celebrated his 65th birthday yesterday.  We enjoyed a quiet day waiting around for the floor estimator to arrive and then sushi takeout for dinner and a Nothing Bundt Cake (carrot cake!) for dessert.  He even got a quick call from B. who managed to 'get a couple minutes with my phone' so that was nice - he's alive and doing whatever it is they are doing.  Glad he was able to call J. even if only for a couple minutes).

J. just threw on a hat and headed to the pool store this morning to replace the skimmer basket.  Interesting that the entire filter system shuts down when the skimmer basket isn't in place and it's cracked and no longer functioning.  Fingers crossed J. can find what we need at our local pool supply store.

We will head over to Livermore shortly to pick out the flooring and pay the deposit then back home to begin two long days of schlepping stuff down to the living room.  Setting up our tables, etc. - to place china on to just sit while the work is done.

I resist doing it but I know that if we don't bite the bullet and get the dining room done, I will regret not doing it every time I look at the carpet.  It's actually not a high traffic room at all and the carpet is in very good shape for being 14 years old but the area will flow better with the flooring the same throughout.

Now my only regret is that we aren't doing laminate upstairs in the landing - stopping at each bedroom door?  Just can't take on that expense right now.

I've been sleeping in until 9AM the past few mornings and dread Monday's 4:30 wake-up with every ounce of my being.  Schlepping off to work will be hard.  Even harder are the auditors arriving at 9AM on my first day back - but I knew that when I scheduled the week off and will survive.  They always have plenty to do and there won't be any issue with them doing it step by step....while I prep the next thing for them.  It will be a busy week -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...