Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Lumber

Thanks to our wonderful friend G. who loaned us her truck on Tuesday, H. & J. were able to pick up the lumber and bring it here in one trip.  H. worked so hard on Monday and had the entire dining room moved to the living room by the time I got home.  Now we wait for trim pieces and the risers. All the risers will be custom made for our stairs (there hasn't been a damn thing 'standard' in this house since we bought it) so that will be another two weeks.  It's looking like the job will start two weeks from today - so lumber in the living room is our life for now.  And our dining room dishes, china, antiques and crystal are also in the living room.  So glad we don't have a cat 'cuz that would be disaster.  One wrong move and it's all gone.

I had dinner with a friend last night and was so glad to see her.  The hardest part of work lately isn't the work - it's feeling friendless and lonely.  The folks we've hired are all very nice and very busy. Getting to lunch isn't in the schedule for anyone so far - and while I'm saving money eating at my desk, it's isolating and a little lonely at times.  I miss my friend.  I drove to Brentwood where she lives to meet her for dinner - and that worked really well for her.  She's got two little boys at home so the closer she is to home, the easier it is for her to take time out for a dinner after work.  We are hoping to make it a every couple of months thing.

Tomorrow, I head north to Yolo County for a workshop and I'm really looking forward to it - primarily 'cuz I'm going alone so plenty of time for thinking and strategizing with just me.  It's one of my favorite drives - early morning before sunrise and then watching all the farms along the way waking up.

So excited it's the start of the fall lineup on TV - so many things to watch.  Tomorrow is Scandal (I can't WAIT for it!!) and tonight, it's Survivor.  Love our shows and glad they are back on.

The Honorable Woman ended interestingly.  It is an intriguing show full of suspense and surprises. I found myself thinking of the Israel/Palestine conflict in such a different way after the show.  There will never be an easy answer and all the involved parties have to compromise.  Not compromising is leading to more and more resentment which compounds everything over and over and over.  It was a great mini-series and I see lots of Emmy's in the future for the cast and crew.  Phenomenal television and we waited every week for the next show - and have watched each over and over including subtitles to be sure we aren't missing the dialog.  Next plan is to re-watch the entire series one right after the other -

Hoping for rain tomorrow!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...