Saturday, February 15, 2014

Time's a Passing

It's already 2/15 and I can't believe how fast this month is going.  I've worked 14 of the 15 days so far this month and will undoubtedly be working every remaining day of the month but am feeling OK (relatively speaking) and things are moving forward.  Though I will say: where's a leap year when you really need it?

J. and I fixed ourselves a wonderful dinner to celebrate love!  We ate out last night but it was after I got my hair cut - it was good but not 'special'.  So tonight, we did steaks, baked potatoes, Caesar salad with homemade croutons and Pots de Creme for dessert.  All delicious though the Pots de Creme is so, so rich.  H. will enjoy leftovers when he gets home from work later tonight.

J. is heading to a Beatles tribute band concert here in town with a friend who's driving here from Dublin to join him.  Beatles just aren't my thing so I will spend a quiet evening at home working on taxes and cleaning my desk here.  Then early to bed to get ready for another day of work tomorrow.

And so it continues.

H. is pretty sure (based on what he's hearing) that the warehouse he's working at is destined to close soon.  The company lost the Raley's account and that's definitely a loss of one of their biggest accounts that was supported by their Northern California location.  They have other warehouses down south - but it's looking like H. will be unemployed again within a month or so.  He's looking for another job to hopefully find employment before they close - and he is one of a very few left from their round of recent hirings.  He's doing OK but they put all the trainers back to working in the warehouse also and it's not as easy without someone to ask questions of.  It's sort of H.'s way - he likes help.  Makes me think that one of the reasons he's having some lower production numbers is 'cuz he didn't really take notes and 'learn' what he needed to do - he has to ask questions of someone when he's stuck and then he does OK. Big learning for him that eventually, you have to stand on your own.  AKA:  LIFE!

B. is good - he is enjoying a four day weekend this weekend and got to shoot some sniper rifles on the range this week - now that he's officially in Recon, they are doing a lot of real training and he's enjoying it.  A lot.  He hit the target at 700 meters - pretty darn good! Maybe all those video games are paying off.

On Thursday, I treated myself to calling a friend I haven't spoken to in ages - fun to catch up.  It's so easy sometimes to stay 'away' for reasons that seem reasonable - life, busy-ness, the perception that the other person is too busy to be bothered.  But reaching out and connecting is always such a wonderful break from the craziness of life - reminds me to do that more often.

It's another three day weekend which even with me working is still great 'cuz I love sleeping in.

I'm sure there's been a lot more happenings in the past in nine days but for now, I can't think of much.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...