Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Karma

I am typing this without my glasses....and I have a fever.  So this could be interesting. (To prove that, I just published and realized the title was 'Karna'.  'Cuz m and n look a lot alike sans spectacles and a body who's internal temp set point is on the fritz).

Today is day two of what will be known as 'The Plague of 2014'.  The sore throat of Saturday, Sunday and Monday turned into a scratchy mess of a throat by Monday night.  I slept very little - but figured 'this is how colds progress so once I'm over this stupid scratchy part, I should be good'.  Around 5AM on Tuesday, I decided to take a leap and I called in sick.  (We don't actually call in sick - I went online and entered my absence into our attendance system which then sends an email to a list of people who need to know the CBO is out for the day). It's a small, select group - lest people think 'yeah, no fiscal oversight in the house - let's go crazy!.

By noon Tuesday, I was pretty sure I was pretty sick.  Fever and chills...oh my gosh, the chills.  I dreaded being out from under the massive pile of warmth 'cuz I couldn't stop shaking. J. went to music rehearsal for church and around 7:15ish, I texted him that I needed help.  I felt 'scared bad'.  My head was killing me; I couldn't get out of bed without shaking.  He texted H. who came upstairs and brought me water and made me hot tea.  And he brought Excedrin which I hesitated taking that late at night but then figure 'who cares if I don't sleep'?  It occurred to me that the awful headache was being made more awful 'cuz I hadn't had much caffeine that day (compared to my regular consumption) - I had skipped my morning coffees and no iced teas throughout the day.  And I was most definitely dehydrated but afraid to move.  Afraid to drink or do anything that might end up being the tipping point that would have me adding vomiting to the list of things wrong with me.  I sipped water and the tea H. made and J. got home and held my hand and listened to me whine.  He's a saint.

Today, I am 'better' as in I am still running a fever but I'm not having the crazy chills.  My headache is there but bearable and I've been sipping various beverages.  J. went and got me the best chicken soup on the planet from the Mexican restaurant in town...and I had eggs and hash browns this morning - so that's good.  Eating and drinking will also help the headache.

I just put in an absence for tomorrow 'cuz if I'm feverish today, I don't work the next day. Praying I will awaken tomorrow feeling perfect - in which case I will probably go in -

I'm not panicked about my deadlines and massive list of stuff 'cuz I did make good progress over the weekend.  I am super-duper glad that I did work all three days of the weekend 'cuz if I hadn't done that, I would be absolutely freaking out.  But I'm not.

At least so far, I'm not.  There's still two more weekends and eight work days - assuming I make it to the office on Friday - and I think/hope I will.

I had planned to have breakfast with a friend on Saturday and I think I will need to cancel that - making me loser of the year in the friend department.  And we have tickets to The Ten Tenors in Modesto tomorrow evening and I'm going to skip that, too.

J. just made reservations for a tour of the Vatican in Rome!  Wow....

Time to head back upstairs....'my head feels fuzzy' (name that movie).

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...