Sunday, April 14, 2013

Waiting....

It's been a weekend of 'on hold'.  A letter from B. hinted that they might be able to call home this weekend.  So far, it seems like every unit BUT B.'s has their phones back - based on Facebook info.  Hoping.  I know he's out and about 'cuz he got money out.  The Ranger Games are happening at Ft. Benning this weekend so I'm wondering if he was able to go watch for a bit - I think he would really enjoy that.

We are so excited for the trip!  Suitcases down, lists and packing started.  B. asked us to bring him a few things so we're trying hard not to forget.  I'm debating what to wear....packing layers 'cuz I've never been to Georgia and have no idea what it's like - except I know it's muggy.  Very muggy.

We're piddling around the house and garden.

Garden story:  the bean plants were invaded earlier this week by snails, we think.  They lost quite a few leaves.  We used snail bait around the bottom and that seems to be helping - totally OK to use with veggies.  Then later in the week, I noticed a small black and red bug - and used neem oil spray to kill it.  Told a friend at work and she said 'hmm...that sounds like lady bug larvae'.  Sure enough!  I'd killed a baby lady bug!  J. said 'well, technically I killed it' (he sprayed).  But I ordered the killing so it didn't make me feel much better.  Today, we noticed quite a few more lady bug larvae and we are leaving them be!  The aphids are much fewer and I'm sure the lady bugs are helping with that.  And we now officially have beans sprouting!!  We wish we weren't leaving for a week but hopefully our house sitter (non-residing) will do a good job.

Ahem....our house sitter....H. will be earning money daily for tending to the garden; the cat; retrieving mail; checking in on things; doing the trash bins; watching for packages and bringing them in.  All sorts of 'stuff' that he will be paid handsomely for.  I am cautiously optimistic and hope I don't come home to a dead garden and a pissed off cat who shows his angst by doing things all over the floors that he shouldn't.  Yuck!

We fly from Sacramento to Phoenix (40 minute connection - hope we can make it) and then from Phoenix to Atlanta.  Spending the night near the Atlanta airport 'cuz we will be tired and we don't know where we're going.  Next morning, leisurely wake up, check out, eat a great southern breakfast/lunch and head to Columbus, GA and check-in where we will stay until Sunday.  Early morning departure back to Atlanta and then reverse the trip.  Arriving home Sunday evening.  I took next Monday off too 'cuz I need a day to regroup.  To Phoenix family:  if you've got nothing to do on Sunday and want to say a quick 'hi' while we have another 40 minute connection, message me and I'll tell you when and where.  Haven't mentioned it 'cuz it's a seriously short time - but then again, we are THERE...which is rare.  And flights do get delayed...

I have a couple small things I need to do at work - but I am off tomorrow so I will be arranging to do them this evening and/or early, early tomorrow.  Just sticking close to home until 6PM in case B. calls.

I hope he will....even though we will see him in a few days, I'd sure love to hear from him.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...