Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Vacation Moments

Some perfect moments of the past couple days:
  • On the way to the airport - just leaving our city heading up I-5 North, the Stones hit 'Get Off My Cloud' came on the radio...and it made us both think of B. who used to sing it as 'Hey, You, Alphabet, Wow!' when he was little.  Seemed so perfect to have that song come on as we began our journey to see him.  Made my heart happy.
  • Looking into the sea-blue eyes of my husband as he explains the effect of various atmospheric phenomenons on aircraft in flight.  He does all that while I'm squeezing his hand as tight as I did when I gave birth.  I love this man...he is such a great man and I am so lucky to be his wife.  He is so patient with me during flights and I doubt I would be brave enough to travel much without him.
  • I love how we make everything an adventure.  I took notes of things I saw during our drive and can Google anything and find the most amazing things happening.  Like this.  We saw it from afar - a "hill" covered in green sheets.  We drove closer and it had markers that said "Hickory Ridge" and it seemed like a new housing development?  Hidden by lots of trees but with stone 'markers' at each entrance - like fancy home developments have.  Maybe they were shoring up a hill from rain?  But Google revealed it's true identity:  a landfill hill being used as a solar energy generation 'plant'.  It's amazing....incredible!  
  • Fried chicken and waffles for dinner last night (along with a drink called Blue Cotton Candy that was also delicious) AND waffles and grits (and bacon and eggs) for breakfast this morning at The Waffle House.  Waffles for every meal!  I love the south!
  • We visited Stone Mountain Park - an amazing site!  The park was open though many 'attractions' were closed - but since we didn't care about the attractions and just wanted to see the carving in the hill, it was perfect for us!  I love the green here - it's incredibly beautiful in Spring.  Dogwoods everywhere!  Azaleas which I've never really cared much for in California - but here, they are breathtaking!  
  • We saw a soldier in the Sacramento airport and talked to him.  Turned out he was returning to Ft. Benning.  He lives in Ceres and was returning after being home for a weekend to attend his mom's funeral.  My heart broke for him - just tore me up.  And yet, he was a soldier.  He was polite and 'true' and such a nice young man.  Made me proud that my son is a soldier.  This young man would be graduating with his Ft. Benning group in two weeks and then going to Kentucky to train as the type of paratrooper that jumps from helicopters instead of planes.  It was such a pleasure to meet him - just such a nice young man.  
  • Also on the flight from Phoenix to Atlanta, I was seated next to an Army Nurse stationed at Ft. Lewis in Washington state.  She delivers babies in an army hospital and says it's a great job.  She          was heading to Atlanta to visit her boyfriend - and she had just finished her final "PT" (physical fitness test) and was heading into her last six months of Army life.         
  • I love that having a family member in the military makes us instant 'family' with other military families or enlisted.  
We will see B. tomorrow and I can't wait....he called home yesterday - then called H.'s cell since we weren't home.  We will see him in about 12 hours for the first time in months and I can't wait to be with him for a couple days! 

We're having a wonderful time and I can't wait for the next few days with B.!

       

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...