Friday, October 28, 2011

It's Over

It's been a great two weeks (mostly) off and today was the last 'work day' off for awhile....well, until the Veteran's Day long weekend, then a week off at Thanksgiving and then two weeks off at Christmas. I know - it is awesome....but truthfully, I will be working much of those supposedly 'off' days 'cuz I got the crazy notion to take two weeks off.

I have remained fairly disconnected and when I read a work email about an hour ago, the familiar clenching in my stomach occurred to remind me that reality is looming. Oh well. It was a nice break and I really needed it.

The trip to Napa was tons of fun and thanks to an excellent salesperson at the winery, I bought more wine than I planned. Oh well. We had a bottle that night and it was delicious! And I slept like a rock!

Today, I had breakfast with a friend from my old corporate job - we were reflecting back that we've known each other over 20 years! Reminded us both of how long we've been friends when I mentioned that B. will be 21 in just 2 and 1/2 short months! Wow. That 21 years did go by really fast.

After breakfast, I headed over to N.'s house - my Napa trip included a stop at the Gymboree outlet which resulted in sweet PMan (the current nickname for her four and half month old doll) receiving two new outfits from his 'Auntie M'. We had a nice visit and it was so great to see her - I haven't seen her since the breakfast months ago right after PMan was born. We chatted briskly and Pman fell asleep with me holding him. He's such a little doll. So fun to remember how small they start out. So amazing.

This weekend, I will work on the pile of work I brought home - thinking that two glorious weeks stretched out before me and I would do a little each day and get stuff organized and 'done' long before I had to go back. And of course, as is my way, I have not done a blooming thing - and considering my schedule next week is jammed with all the meetings I postponed or skipped during the two off weeks, it's going to be a long week of long days attempting to keep up.

I'm so glad I took the time - I really needed it. And I'm glad that there will be upcoming additional 'breaks' that will help keep things more sane, at least until January.

So as bad as I feel tonight going back on Monday, I can only imagine how bad I will feel the Friday of the last week of Christmas break - 'cuz there will be no breaks from January forward through September, most likely. The system conversion is progressing and will be in full high gear swing as soon as we return from the Winter break.

My corporate friend reminded me that I am what I am - I have always been driven and work-oriented. I do love my job. I'm good at it and I enjoy it - so while it's hard to go back, it's also good to go back. My boss has missed me and so have other work friends. Work is my 'thing'. And I'm glad I have it.

Though honestly, I will never be bored when I stop working. I love being at home. Doing tons. Or doing nothing. Both suit me equally well.

A weekend of 'catch up' and stuff around the house is commencing soon....

Is it wrong to drink a small tumbler of red wine with McDonald's dinner?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Red meat, red wine. Sounds appropriate to me.

J

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...