Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Extreme Bravery

J. did something truly brave today. Not many men would have done it. Most would quake in fear at the thought. Not my husband. He was brave beyond words.

I went to Costco to gas up my car. I had to go into Costco because when J. shopped this weekend, we forgot to include ketchup on our list. We are ketchup-less. That cannot happen in this house where ketchup is practically a food group. So I ventured inside Costco alone. Unaccompanied. Armed with my Costco Amex card with very little balance since we just paid our monthly bill in full - as usual.

It's Christmas at Costco. Decorations everywhere. Gifts galore. Clothes out the yin yang. But it's Christmas that is the most beckoning to me - new decorations for hearth and home. Inside. Outside. Every surface of our home. All could be covered in glorious celebration. Lights! Ornaments! Wrapping paper! Yard decor! Swags and garlands! Bows! Manger scenes! Storage supplies! Tissue paper!

I sent him a text: 'Christmas!'.

He responded: 'Yes?'

Me: 'At Costco....lots of Christmas stuff!!!

Me: 'Dangerous for me to be unaccompanied'.

Him: 'Get out as fast as you can. Run! Forget the ketchup! :-)'

Me: (to myself) 'Heh....'

Me: 'Lol. Now u get it!'

Me: 'Ummmm....'

Him: 'Yes?'

Me: 'I'm going to need help unloading'

Him: 'Oh no!'

I stayed under $35. Did get the Ketchup. And teriyaki sauce, corned beef hash and the Kirkland brand of Splenda (way, WAY cheaper than Splenda). I did not buy a single Christmas item. I wanted to. Oh, yes, I really did....

But I didn't. We have plenty of festive 'stuff' already - and in fact, as we work on the garage, J. continues to insist we need to cull out Christmas.

You can't cull out Christmas. Sorry. It just can't be done. I have my limits.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...