Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Grand Opening

Today is the long-awaited opening of Raley's in Tracy! Right down the street from our house! Our part of town has been waiting for a REAL shopping center to open long before we moved here in 2000 - and it's finally happening! So far, there are signs up for a Super Cuts, Subway, Wells Fargo, Chase, a taqueria, a nail place.

I braved inflated Foster Farm chickens the size of a house and a packed parking lot to visit this morning. Scored a free fabric shopping bag (and got 5 cents off my order for using it!) and other perks. A bag with an icing spreader thing, notepads, magnetic clips! Things you can never have too many of - seriously. J. tried to toss a tote bag he got from some event he went to way back when and I stopped him. You never know when another tote bag will come in handy!

The store was controlled chaos which only made it more fun. I have to be at work at 11 briefly (taking another non-work day today) so I couldn't linger too long - but I will be going back this evening to browse the meat specials and procure some deli Chinese food for dinner. Oh, and SUSHI! They make fresh sushi ALL DAY LONG! I think I'm in heaven! AND, they have special parking places for hybrid cars! SCORE!

I've been in love with grand openings since my days at Mervyn's. There is nothing like opening a new store. Nothing. It is so incredibly exciting and fun and hectic and exhausting. And the big day arrives and your dead on your feet - and you're so proud to be a part of the opening! There are always (ALWAYS) people in suits walking around, checking out the place. It's so much fun. You'll just have to trust me - it's really like nothing else when you're one of the 'workers' that created the 'buzz' that is now a full-fledged store. I tried so hard to encourage B. to apply there - because being a part of that 'building from the ground up' really bonds a group of people into steadfast friends. I have friends from my Mervyn's days (25 years ago!) that I am still in touch with.

I have waited at 4AM for the opening of a Target Greatland in San Ramon many years ago. Was also in line at 4AM for the Krispy Kreme opening in Union City - even got interviewed for the morning news there, proclaiming my love for hot, gooey pastries. When the reporter asked me 'what's so special about these donuts?', I replied 'have you had one?'. 'No'. 'Well, then, I really can't describe it to you - you just have to try one for yourself'. I was obsessed....I realize that now. Grand Openings are just the best thing EVER...even with the inflatable chickens that are frankly, terrifying.

When I worked at Mervyn's and moved into the 'corporate offices', working in the credit division, I frequently was sent out to store openings all across the country. Those times were so fun - we went as a team and had an absolute blast. Working our asses off for days at a time and sleeping little because when we weren't working, we were partying! It was so much fun -

I am heading out to help a co-worker procure shelving that is available at Costco....and then back home to continue working on prepping the house for the floor cleaning tomorrow. And tons of 'work' stuff to take care of - things I schlepped home. I'm not really sure what I was thinking trying to wedge in these couple days off...but I needed them. So I took them.

I will return to Raley's again to score beef roasts for $1.67 per pound! I didn't even get near the deli...but I will. Oh yes, I will.....

The only 'not great' thing is: they have an in-store Pete's Coffee. Blasphemy. But oh well. I will give it a try 'cuz we have two buy one get one free coupons! and the kids are always up for frozen, caffeinated beverages with whip cream!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...