Monday, December 15, 2008

Vino

We made our bi-weekly trip to Costco this weekend - grabbing last minute Christmas gifts and stocking up on Starbucks giftcards - which I use. Will give a couple to some folks as a gift but for the most part, I admit they are mine. All mine. I'm getting the 10% off from my Goldcard and also 20% off from buying $100 of cards for $80 at Costco. Since you're never sure when Costco will stop carrying something, I sort of 'stocked up' a bit.

Among our stock ups was wine. Lots of wine. At Thanksgiving, we enjoyed a really nice Gewurztraminer - and that made us realize that we are running 'low' on our favorites. We realized that when we both wanted a little more - and there was none. None in the rack. None anywhere. Bummer. We don't drink much - but there's nothing worse than wanting another glass and being 'out'. So, we stocked up.

There's no better place than Costco at Christmas to stock up. Well, maybe Trader Joe's and I'm heading there tomorrow for some Two Buck Chuck Merlot...but Costco has a nice variety of little-known wines for around $3-$10 per bottle. That's affordable.

This evening, I opened a bottle of white zinfindel. Berringer, I think. Actually, I didn't open it - my almost 18 year old son did. Took a lot more 'strength' than I could muster. I tried not to be 'disturbed' at having him open it - I mean, he is physically stronger than I am and it does take just plain old brute strength to wrestle a well-stuck cork out of a bottle. He did an admirable job - and no, he did not have any. He's not legal, you know. And he's working tonight. He can have a wee sip or two at Christmas if he'd like to try it.

It's a Monday - and I'm having WINE! And you know what that means - I'm on VACATION!!

(Footnote: I was going to post this last night (Monday) but I had to look up how to spell Gewurztraminer...which still doesn't look right to me but I'm posting the post anyway).

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...