Thursday, September 22, 2022

Things Happen Quickly

H. thought he might get a COVID test on Monday and then possibly be transported to the rehab facility on Tuesday.  We talked to him late Monday and the COVID test didn't happen so he figured he wouldn't go this week.  

When I woke up this morning - after a glorious night's sleep which I attribute to adding another comforter to my bed - I had a missed call at 3:03AM our time from a different Houston number.  Same recorded message with the zillions of disclosures about receiving a call from someone in the Harris County jail.  

He's apparently moved because when I search for him on the 'find someone in jail' link, the system shows he is no longer in jail.  

I'm trying not to worry too much.  We know he will receive minimal phone calls at the start of the program and can earn more for good behavior.  I'll be back to keeping my phone with me at all times with my debit card as well so I'll be ready if he calls.  

We had a fun day at Atlantis yesterday - not a winning day but I did have a good recovery at the end so I didn't come home broke.  Right now not coming home broke is a win.  

The weather has been much cooler the past few days and my bedroom is downright cold.  I ran the electric space heater a bit when I went into the room to get ready for bed but I really needed to turn on the central heat to get the room truly warmed up.  I'm resisting doing that - it's only September and I'm just trying to make it at least into October.  It's funny to me that the inside temperature of 74 feels freezing now when just a couple weeks ago, I'd sometimes turn the AC down to that temp just to feel cool for a little bit.  My internal thermostat is malfunctioning on a regular basis.  I am a bad gauge of comfort level. 

I got ready for bed - face washed, teeth brushed, hair combed.  Pillows arranged.  Crawled in and waited for warmth to envelop me but it didn't.  After an hour of trying to get warm, I turned on the light, went into my closet and grabbed the heavy 'winter-weight' down comforter and put it on the top of my other covers.  I figured I'd wake up roasting at some point in the night - but I never did.  I slept great.  It felt great to be warm.  Simple change made for a big difference.  The night before, I had slept so fitfully, it wasn't even sleep, really.  Awake every hour for hours.  Now I'm thinking I haven't been as warm as I need to be for good sleep.  

The cats are curled up together on the couch trying to be warm, too. 

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...