Thursday, September 15, 2022

Feisty Muf

Air quality here was the best it's been in a week.  Combined with lower temps, we spent a bit of time outside today.  J. set up the cat gazebo on the rock path in the sun.  The cats were waiting at the sliding door watching us - in fact, Muf planted herself by the door when J. and I headed out - guilted us in to setting up the gazebo.

Both cats settled in oh so briefly but just a few short minutes into gazebo time, Muf jumped through a gap in the zip up 'door' and managed to get out.  We weren't surprised - she did the exact same escape act last time we used the gazebo.  I stayed right with her with my hand on her as she moved to check out some plants.  J. went inside to find her halter and leash and she wore the halter begrudgingly.  Honestly, in the event of her taking off after something, the halter won't hold her - it has velcro closures and the fit is off.  If she bolted, she'd rip the velcro apart and be gone in a flash - but it felt like we had a smidge more control over her.  She tolerated it - seemingly aware that if she won't stay in the gazebo and wants a smidge more freedom to wander, she has to make this work or the answer will be 'no outside time for Muf'.  

Tomorrow, we head to Reno for the Air Races.  We're not sure how the air quality is in Reno - when we went on Wednesday, the air was pretty clear in Carson and heading north - but when we made the curve into the valley just before Reno, there was a lot of smoke.  Two wild fires and the train ties have been brutal to air quality.  Hopefully, the planes will fly and race as planned. We will catch a shuttle from Atlantis to the airport north of Reno where the races are held each year.  The shuttles to/from Atlantis run pretty frequently throughout the day so we've decided to take two cars.  I will likely return to Atlantis earlier than J. and I will play a bit before heading home.  

Saturday we'll be back at Atlantis for a free play swipe and win.  

I commented to J. 'B. arrived three weeks ago today and we've been non-stop since then'.  Seriously.  We had J.'s brother here the afternoon B. headed back to New Jersey.  J. has played a ton of golf and we've had a ton of events at Atlantis.  I'm exhausted.  I can't wait for a couple days of doing nothing.  

H. has to initiate calls to us.  We're not scheduling them much - I try to let him know days when we know we will not be available to answer a call that requires 3 minutes to accept.  Murphy's Law is in play BIG TIME.  Yesterday, I went to the garage to quickly get something and when I got back (first time all day I hadn't had my phone and debit card with me), I'd missed his call.  Today, I went to the garage to help J. unload Costco groceries - same thing!  Missed his call again.  He called back a few hours later.  It's OK.  I'm not letting it stress me out anymore.  

H. was arrested in the only clothes he had - a long sleeve t-shirt and shorts.  The rehab facility provided a list of clothing he is allowed to bring - we're just trying to figure out how to get things to him.  They paperwork we found online says families can drop items off in the first two weeks - but we're not physically there so we're not sure how that will work.  I told H. to keep asking questions when he can and we'll do our best to get an Amazon order of clothing to him as soon as we know he's heading out of his current facility to his new facility.  

Talking to him is often hard.  Not much to say.  He shares a bit about his day, I do the same.  We talk logistics of the move to rehab and then wrap it up.  Sometimes, we get the one minute warning but mostly we end the calls before the warning.  Time might provide more things to talk about - we'll see.  I'm still very guarded and he knows it.  He doesn't track much information that is centered around him - addict behavior that will be hard for him to change - we're used to that.  He doesn't remember things we've shared from the previous days or weeks - his days sort of merge and I get that.  

We're glad he was accepted into the program and we'll see.  We hope for the best while also being realistic 'cuz this will be his third residential rehab and I truly have no idea if this one will stick or not.  Not...seems the most likely.  But it's better than him being in jail for months. 

I'm heading to bed early 'cuz we are leaving for Reno early (for us).  Another fun-filled busy weekend is approaching.  

Life is good.  We are very blessed and I need to remind myself of that more often. 

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...